• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Mass Coastal 2008 on the Falmouth Secondary line today at the Red Brook Harbor Rd crossing in Cataumet . Had 4 empties in tow to deliver to UCCRTS C&D transfer station out on Otis with return trip of full cars to ship off Cape.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... otoindex=1
  by GP40MC1118

It and another one (I think is up at SEMASS/Area 52) have been on the Cape 1/21/12. Was told they
were sent to Precision Rail in Hyannis, Ma. for repairs. Don't know the story behind Precision, which
may have been an arm of the Mass Coastal/Cape Cod Central empire. One was briefly used by MC
a few harsh winters ago.

The MBTA barely used them and seem to be "forgotten" down here like a few other pieces that landed
down SE Mass and the Cape when Mass Coastal paired up with Mass DOT.

D

The other plow I saw was on the Yarmouth transfer station siding back in January 2019 ID# MBA 2742R . Didn't see any legible markings on the one in Hyannis though, but I don't think it's the same one. Link to photo below of plow on Yarmouth siding this past January. Next time I am in Yarmouth will check the transfer station siding to see if it is still there.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=1&key2=

Was in Yarmouth today and Plow MBA 2742R is still rusting away parked on the siding next to the Yarmouth transfer station
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting

Article in Sandwich Enterprise that someone threw a rock through a Mass Coastal passenger train window last Saturday 8/24. While Luckily there were no injuries, definitely some irresponsible person out there probably thinking it was a fun thing to do for some twisted reason.

https://www.capenews.net/sandwich/news/ ... f0244.html

Falmouth Secondary RR Signal upgrade started today at the Barlow's Landing Rd crossing in Pocasset, MA. Crossing itself was already replaced last June 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Falmouth Secondary Line Monument Neck Rd RR crossing in Gray Gables MA being upgraded today with new signals / controls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by twropr

Is freight service on the MA-owned Framingham Secondary provided by CSX or Mass Coastal?
Andy

Was talking with a Mass Coastal supervisor at Gray Gables signal / controls upgrade project yesterday and asked about work being done on Canal RR bridge. I was told that the elevators in both towers are getting upgraded. Still lots of upcoming projects on the Cape RR lines to be done per 2018 MA State rail plan.

Falmouth Secondary line Signal / Controls upgrade in process at Red brook Harbor Rd crossing in Cataumet

Falmouth Secondary line RR Signals / Controls upgrade were completed at the Red Brook Harbor Road crossing in Cataumet, MA
DSCF2651 (2).JPG

Was reading Mass DOT bids and see that up to 25,000 ties are out for bid to purchase for use in Rochester, Bourne, Sandwich / Barnstable and Sheffield. Read bid details section RFR Tie updated calendar.pdf page 6 for further info. No details as to where in Bourne though, but the Falmouth Secondary line and Otis Industrial track certainly need numerous tie replacements.

https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/b ... entUrl=bid
  by johnpbarlow

Perhaps this is an irrelevant response but Grafton and Upton has been acquiring many used ties that I believe come from various MBTA track renewal projects. There is a stack of experienced ties in Milford that have the rail-clip compatible tie plates bolted on to the tie suggesting to me they were previously used on the Green Line. Wonder why MassDOT doesn't re-use ties of this ilk on the lower speed secondary lines?