• "N.Y. Central Heritage" Little Falls (video)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ut-1

This under-a-minute video features close-up views of the CSX bridge over River Rd, Little Falls, which is still stenciled in New York Central lettering. A view of Amtrak No. 280 zipping by at 8:00 this morning is also included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q2KYE1Ooj8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by D Alex

The paint on that bridge looks almost TOO perfect. I could see if it were a "Santa Fe" marking on a bridge in the desert, but almost 50 years in upstate NY weather? No, it looks more like it was repainted with the old stenciling sometime in the mid-90's.
  by ut-1

Painted 1955; pic from another nearby bridge, also still stenciled for NY Central.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NYCRRson

"No, it looks more like it was repainted with the old stenciling sometime in the mid-90's."

Ding Ding Ding, I believe we have a winner....

Painted in 1955 and still in reasonably good shape 60+ years later ???? Go ahead, pull my other leg.....
  by ExCon90

Why in the world would CR or CSX repaint old NYC stenciling in the 1990's? Would they even have the stencils? That's some very delicate work on the capital letters.
  by sd80mac

ExCon90 wrote:Why in the world would CR or CSX repaint old NYC stenciling in the 1990's? Would they even have the stencils? That's some very delicate work on the capital letters.
I assume the photo is recently, the paint was done in 10-1955...

the bridges for RR overpass last much longer than the bridges for vehicles due to salt corrosion. That's why paint on RR bridge lasts much longer...
  by ExCon90

Never spotted the date in the photo. I guess with railroad timetables and bridges, always read the fine print ...