Railroad Forums 

• "N.Y. Central Heritage" Little Falls (video)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1478091  by ut-1

This under-a-minute video features close-up views of the CSX bridge over River Rd, Little Falls, which is still stenciled in New York Central lettering. A view of Amtrak No. 280 zipping by at 8:00 this morning is also included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q2KYE1Ooj8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments:
IMG_6850 (2)_Resized_900_by_562.jpg
IMG_6850 (2)_Resized_900_by_562.jpg (101.02 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
 #1478099  by D Alex

The paint on that bridge looks almost TOO perfect. I could see if it were a "Santa Fe" marking on a bridge in the desert, but almost 50 years in upstate NY weather? No, it looks more like it was repainted with the old stenciling sometime in the mid-90's.
 #1478122  by NYCRRson

"No, it looks more like it was repainted with the old stenciling sometime in the mid-90's."

Ding Ding Ding, I believe we have a winner....

Painted in 1955 and still in reasonably good shape 60+ years later ???? Go ahead, pull my other leg.....
 #1478291  by sd80mac

ExCon90 wrote:Why in the world would CR or CSX repaint old NYC stenciling in the 1990's? Would they even have the stencils? That's some very delicate work on the capital letters.
I assume the photo is recently, the paint was done in 10-1955...

the bridges for RR overpass last much longer than the bridges for vehicles due to salt corrosion. That's why paint on RR bridge lasts much longer...