• FERROVIE NORD MILANO

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Benny

philipmartin wrote:Italian steam departing Treviglio. Small cylinders.

http://youtu.be/dpM3Gzna_1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil, what you see are the distributors, the loco has two inside cylinders.

Ciao :wink:
  by philipmartin

Thank you, Benny. I was wondering if it was inside connected.
  by ExCon90

Benny, a question about livery: I remember seeing coaches of that era in brown, and (I think later) in battleship gray, both visible in the video. Is the brown FS livery older? Beautiful footage, by the way. Also, I see in the second of the three comments that the writer observes that the black smoke should be white. I assume the black smoke was for the benefit of the railfans(?)--we do that here also, although management frowned on the practice in regular service. There was at least one class of locomotive in the US that had a light bulb mounted at the top of the smokestack which could be illuminated by the fireman at night to check the color of the smoke.
  by Benny

I'm using my memory so I can be wrong. From approximately the beginning of XX century until half 30s, FS coaches were painted in green, from there to the 60s Castano and Isabella (two tones of brown ) were used, then a little time of sole Castano and then the slate grey era until the 80s, when started three liveries at the same time : liver red for long distance stock, concrete grey, orange and violet for local services and red and orange for medium distance stock. From 90s a new unified livery of white with blue and green stripes has been in use and now there are new liveries beginning to be applied.
All the above mentioned is valid only for FS, private railroads had their proper colours, and also inside FS there have been various special liveries (treno azzurro, TEE etc. ).

About black smoke, surely it was for the photographers benefit. In my little experience black smoke appears when coal begins to be burnt or when the grill is dirty and fire cannot breathe.

Ciao :wink:
  by philipmartin

The once mighty Pennsylvania Railroad painted most of its rolling stock "Tuscan" red. I don't know if the color has any actual connection with Tuscany.
The loco is a GG1 in passenger service.
  by ExCon90

Benny, thanks for the info. The brown is what I mostly remember.
  by philipmartin

Steam at Ventimiglia.

http://youtu.be/EfidVZsVKsI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;