Railroad Forums 

• FERROVIE NORD MILANO

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1427737  by johnthefireman

Yes, you're probably right, although there are probably less railways where a driver can take off on his own initiative for an unauthorised train movement.

In South Africa we are supposed to breathalyse our own crews with the "alco-blow" gadget when they book on, and to certify them as fit for duty. We can be randomly breathalysed by Transnet inspectors at any time, and if there is any incident or accident then the Transnet Rail Incident Commander who takes control of the scene immediately breathalyses all the crew who might have been involved.
 #1427757  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: Locomotives capable of switching from 3kv to 25kv do exist, in several countries. But it has to be designed into them.
The New Jersey Transit Bombardier ALP 46s and 45s change between 12.5KV and 25KV automatically, I think. They go through without stopping. The originals were built in Germany around 2001 and were designed that way. Additionally, the 45s have Catepillar diesels, and can run that way.
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1427759  by Benny

johnthefireman wrote:
Benny wrote:The Wikipedia extensor made a typing mistake: it's not the locomotive but the drivers that drink beer.
A few months ago my wife and I were in a country which I won't name and we were watching a diesel locomotive shunting (switching in US parlance), making up a goods train. After a while the driver invited us up into the cab with him. He was very friendly and welcoming as he shunted up and down but it soon became clear that he had had a drink or three - the cab reeked of alcohol. After a while he asked us whether we were going into town and when we said yes, he said he would take us there. I assumed he had finished his shunting work and was going to drop us off as he passed through town on his journey. Sure enough he took us into town and dropped us off at the level crosssing, but then instead of continuing his journey he reversed back to the shunting yard, persumably to finish his shunting work. There are not too many countries left where you can have an experience like that!
Ha ha ha...apart every safety considerations, a nice scene of daily life.

Ciao :wink:
 #1428097  by philipmartin

NorthWest wrote:Ok, that makes sense on the 1161s. To go from 3000V DC to 25Kv AC would be essentially a new locomotive.
It is hard to find information on railroading in the Balkans, which is unfortunate because a lot of the things there are very interesting.
There are photos of large steam still in use at industrial plants within the last year!
And yes, rebuilds of 60+-year-old locomotives are useless...
This is years old, but it's in the Balkans.
http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tra ... kans01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1428208  by philipmartin

Here's a link to a class 33 Kriegslok leaving the mine - 2007?.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/302581/21119233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbmuAJte1lQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIZHCvU ... 545.203991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1429652  by Benny

Endothermic traction always had a marginal role in FNM.

In 1924 was put on use one of the first ever railcars in Italy, the M1.
This vehicle had one of the trucks powered by two petrol engines but, being unreliable, was quickly downgraded to overhead wires service and then alienated.

One of the very few known images of M1 railcar. From internet, unknown author.
fnm-m-1.jpg
fnm-m-1.jpg (358.86 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
In 1934 OM furnished three two-axles diesel powered railcars with very rounded shape and mechanical transmission that were used mainly on the Como to Varese line and lasted until 1954, during the last times being used on the Saronno to Seregno line.

An Md 510 still inside the OM factory. From internet, photo OM
800px-FNM_Md_510.jpg
800px-FNM_Md_510.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
In 1940 came the last kind of FNM railcar: the Md 520 class, strictly derived from the FS ALn 556.2200. These units, with wheels arrangement 1A-A1 and powered by two diesel engines through Wilson gearboxes, were mainly used on the Novara-Saronno-Seregno axle but, with the wiring of the last non-electrified lines, the two remaining railcars (one was burnt in a fire) were sold to Ferrovia Centrale Umbra, another private railroad in central Italy, where they were used in a new stretch before the completion of wiring and then transformed in driving trailers.

Two HO models of FNM Md 520 railcar manufactured by Rivarossi firm. Image from the Rivarossi site, unknown author.
Automotrice MD 56 FNM.jpg
Automotrice MD 56 FNM.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Last edited by Benny on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1429653  by Benny

To eliminate steam locos from the shunting movements at the Cadorna terminal, in 1967 came, directly from the TIBB factory, two small 2-axle switchers classified early as De 1 and 2 and then as De 510.1and 2.
Strangely for this kind of small shunters, they were equipped with electric transmission and passed all their operating life between Cadorna station and Scalo Pagano, the yard opposite to the terminal, putting and taking out coaches to enlarge trains accommodation in peak hours.
With the progressive elimination of the so called "carrozze accodate" (coaches on the tail) the need for these two "bugs" was disappearing and, at the beginning of the new century, they were phased out.

De 510.2 in its last days at Novate Depot.
de5102-110603dlnovatemilanese.jpg
de5102-110603dlnovatemilanese.jpg (842.8 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
At the end of the 60s, with the boom of paper being used for everything, the paper mills along the Olona river valley were working hard and were supplied by what remained of Valmorea line.
This line was the last one to be steam operated of the network and, given the good results of the small switchers, FNM passed to builder TIBB an order for a new diesel locomotive with a light axleweight and short wheelbase to be used for freight services on the Valmorea line, for last-miling to the then still numerous private sidings along the lines and for shunting.
The result came as a two trucks loco with a central cab between two low bonnets, each one equipped with a complete engine-generator traction group. The first three units came in 1971, followed in 1975 by two more, with slight differences.
Meanwhile, because of the rising of raw materials and, more, the obsolescence of the factories, these ones quickly closed and in 1975, after the closure of the biggest one, the Cairate plant, the line was stopped so the De 500s passed nearly all their operating life doing reserve, shunting in Cadorna and Saronno stations and making some freight trains, especially on the Saronno to Seregno line were some sidings had narrow curves prohibited to electric locos.
With the opening of the rail freight market, more powerful diesels came in, so this smart class has been slowly sidelined. One unit was donated to Club San Gottardo for the now aborted tourist railway on the upper part of the Valmorea line, two are still waiting a very unlikely new service at Iseo depot and the last two wait dismantling.

De 500.2 arriving at Groane, on the Saronno to Seregno line, with a freight train for the local industries in 2002.
de5002e5-191202cogroane copia.jpg
de5002e5-191202cogroane copia.jpg (185.76 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
De 500.3 shunting in Novate Depot in 2003.
de5003-110603dlnovatemse copia.jpg
de5003-110603dlnovatemse copia.jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Connecting to what related by «Giovanni il fuochista» :-D :-D :-D (John the fireman), approximately 25 years ago I came in Saronno station at around lunch time to chat a little with a my friend , a very experienced driver that was in turn with a De 500 for rescue services.
After some minutes he told me: "I'm hungry; if you are not busy I invite you. There is a small, good restaurant in front of the Castellanza station".
"Ok, thanks, but you still have a long time before the end of the turn... "
"Don't worry!" and entered in the station master's office.
"Hey boss, the fuel tank of the loco is empty, I need a trace to the fuelling point of Castellanza!"
As a result I had a good meal between two train rides made especially for me; this is friendship...and hunger!
Ah, for the history, the fuel tank was more than half level!!!

Images by S. Paolini courtesy of Photorail

Last edited by Benny on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1429654  by Benny

One of the most important classes of second hand locomotives that came in Italy at the beginning of the freight liberalization has been Czech 752/753, the so called submariners.
These ugly but strong horses were built by CKD in the 70s and, with the new Caterpillar engine that substituted the original one, can develop 1450 kw; transmission is electric.
FNM too bought various units (initially 18, but the number varied because of interchanges with other operators) that were classified as De 520 and still uses them. After an initial duty as main line locomotives often with entire services under the wires, now are mainly used to last mile services on non wired lines of trains that had a long run with electric traction.
Another typical job of these locos is reserve/rescue, for other operators too.

De 520.13 heading a train of new cars from the custom area of Rivalta Scrivia in 2006.
IMG_6051 copia.jpg
IMG_6051 copia.jpg (181.01 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
De 520.14 with a freight train on the Empoli to Siena line in 2013.
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG (223.11 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
The two images by S. Paolini courtesy of Photorail.

Other diesel traction in the hands of what was FNM is the stock of the Brescia to Edolo line, that has been managed by the regional company after the end of original operator's concession, but I think that the story of this line deserves a specific topic.
Also the stock that became part of Trenord after the merger but is clearly FS stock seems me out of theme.

Have you now a better idea of FNM? For every question or doubt ask to Dr Benny ($ 5.00 each answer :-D :-D :-D ).

#1429667  by johnthefireman

"Giovanni il fuochista" - I like that! Sadly I don't get much firing experience these days, but I still take opportunities when I get them.

Thanks for the footplate tale. Those were interesting days!
 #1429679  by NorthWest

Indeed! Thanks so much for all of the photos and information, as well as the stories!

FSE next? :-) (How much will that cost :-D?)
 #1429718  by philipmartin

Italian steam departing Treviglio. Small cylinders.

http://youtu.be/dpM3Gzna_1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This loco,is unusual. Franco-Crosti boilered, the chimney is on the right, in front of the cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAfIEhuwHo&sns=em" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to a Wiki article on Franco-Crosti boilered engines. It is a type of feedwater heater. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Crosti_boiler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1429741  by Benny

NorthWest wrote:
FSE next? :-) (How much will that cost :-D?)
Good idea. Let me time, it's a very busy period .
Cost is free for friends :-D