• LV Genesee River Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

Even though we cant see the center pier, im 90% convinced it must be the bridge over the creek, not the bridge over the Erie.
for two reasons:

1. The bridge in the photo has a flat deck, no side girders that stick up a few feet.
In the existing bridges today, that matches the form of the creek bridge, but not the bridge over the Erie.

2. CPsmith must have been standing in the same spot (or very close) for the two photos..
first photo looking NE, train is on the bridge over the creek.
then he turns to the NW to snap the other photo, of the train on the long trestlework.

That "photographer standing in the same spot" only works if its the creek over the bridge,
because he would need to be standing between the creek and the river..
If it was the bridge over the Erie, nd he was standing between the creek and the Erie, when turning to the NW the creek over the bridge would be visible..and it isnt.

Aerial photos on Bing:
http://binged.it/1KqWkN3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by FarmallBob

CPSmith wrote:
I went to both bing and google maps and the span over the creek has a center pylon. I don't *think* I see a center pylon in the photo, but I just don't know for sure.

If the bridge over the EL is (and was) a plate girder bridge (no reason to think they'd move them), then you are probably correct - it must be the span over the creek.

Maybe some enterprising soul can go for a walk and confirm.
CPSmith - I have walked/biked that stretch MANY times over the past 50 years - I know the area well!

2nd photo shows the span crossing the seasonal stream. It is a top deck plate girder design with a mid-span support tower.

The span over the Erie/LA&L tracks is a bottom deck design (more properly a "half through plate girder"). A bottom deck design was employed to provide greater underside clearance for the railroad tracks below.

...FB
  by Scott K

3 of my own pictures from the walk my son and I took in August '13. The LA&L bridge and a view south toward the site of the old farm bridge that was removed.

Scott K.
  by Scott K

A few more. A sign with added comment, with the creek bridge in the background (don't know why I didn't take any specific pictures of or from it). A very well preserved telegraph line holder, and the descriptive sign at Wadsworth Jct, right where the new access trail joins the PRR/Greenway.

Scott K.
  by CPSmith

OK! I give! I give! It's the creek! It's the creek!

All kidding aside, thank you everyone. Nice photos, too, Scott K.

It's Friday afternoon and time for a Manhattan, so that's it for this week. Enjoy the weekend.
  by tk48states

CP your photo#3 says it all, now I get the whole bridge story, Thank you.
  by dj_paige

Great photos, thank you for sharing. Even though I moved to Rochester many years after the LV was absorbed into Conrail, I know these locations well. Great to see trains at these locations!
  by charlie6017

Incredible photos, Mr. Smith........thank you for sharing!! :-D

Charlie
  by lvrr325

Good to see some photos showing the cars being hauled in the train. The Milwaukee horizontal rib boxcar was a nice catch.

The 508 with the unique double diamond nose stripes was a good catch too.
  by BR&P

Outstanding pics. I'm glad someone was smart enough to realize it WOULDN'T always be there and took the time to record what used to be routine.

Are your dates approximate or exact? I notice there are 2 pics of caboose 95017, both dated 11-1-75, one at Manchester and one at P&L.
  by CPSmith

Usually, I note "date(s) approximate" in either the album description or the first photo of a series - but I'm sure I've missed a few ...

The dates (month/year) printed on the slides are usually my only guidelines. Some color prints had dates on the front, but Kodak stopped doing that in the 60s, I believe. And of course, with negatives, I have no idea. Sometimes I wrote exact dates in photo albums, most times not.

Yes, 95017 was in both P&L and Manchester in the Fall of 1975, but that's the best I can do. Makes sense since it was assigned to local crews. The same day? Probably not, since the engines were 213 at Manchester and 217 at P&L.

The rrpicturearchives site needs an exact date - it won't let you pick November 1975 or Fall 1975 - it's either that or leave the date(s) out entirely. Unless I have the exact date, I put in the first of the month and annotate accordingly.
  by Barnard Crossing

Christopher, great pics of the LV in Geneva and the east side of Seneca Lake. I remember the yard in Geneva.

The line on the east side of Seneca had long since been abandoned by the time I first saw it while in scout camp in '85. Lots of deer through there, in Ovid, and one side of the tracks opposite the camp was a nature preserve. We scouts would walk the RoW when we had down time.

By '87 or '88 (?) the tracks had been torn up, and fhe ties were gone by the time of my last trip to the camp.

This brings back memories, although long after the LV was even around, about 9-10 years or so.

The bridge over the Genesee I've never seen, but now I understand how the LV RoW ended up on the east side of the river, and into the city. Cool stuff!
  by TB Diamond

The rail on the former Lehigh Valley Railroad Seneca Freight Bypass MP 305-Ordnance Int. was pulled up beginning in September, 1978.