Railroad Forums 

• LV Genesee River Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1407451  by CPSmith

It's Fall ! Go for a hike ! Take your kids ! Take photos ! Post them here ! Do it now !

WHAT ? I'm talking to the Chessie cat ? Go outside NOW ! :-D
 #1407512  by charlie6017

CPSmith wrote:It's Fall ! Go for a hike ! Take your kids ! Take photos ! Post them here ! Do it now !

WHAT ? I'm talking to the Chessie cat ? Go outside NOW ! :-D
I did, I did! :P

I got out around P&L Jct. area yesterday and poked around and drove up Flint Hill Road/Gulf Road. Here are a couple pics to compliment the
ones you shared the other day of that area. 1st one is where Flint Hill passed over the LV (looking RR west) and the next one was closer to Church
Rd. Quite a few poles are still around, and last I knew so were some of the cross-ties.

Last edited by charlie6017 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1407513  by charlie6017

I went past where the Gulf Road crossing is, and it's very much unrecognizable today, as there's some business
in there and they have PCV pipe all over the place.

But I did get a shot of the long-sitting steam shovel (I think it's steam?) sitting across the road from the driveway
into Dolomite. Obviously non-railroad/LV related, but still noteworthy IMHO. :-D

Charlie

#1407515  by dj_paige

The steam shovel was discussed here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p413293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other pictures of the LV ROW near Flint Hill Road
ImageLimerock, NY by Paige Miller, on Flickr

#1407530  by charlie6017

CPSmith wrote:Great jobs, gentlemen! Nice photos. The steam shovel used to have a companion:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3737485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, and nice pics as well Paige! That must have been quite an interesting operation at General Crushed Stone. Where's
that time-machine when we need it? :P

Charlie
 #1407563  by Farmer Joe

Regarding all the construction at the former Gulf Rd crossing, I believe that's where that derailment that spilled Tri Chlor into the ground water in the early 70's was. I think that is an EPA hazardous area or whatever they call it. I've read about that wreck, but never saw any pictures of it.

Thread on that LV wreck.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=58324&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gulf Rd/Flint Hill Rd was quite covered by the Lehigh. Over, under and across. The Lehigh Valley did it all there.