• 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

I can understand why there's a delay. It's a long trip around the Grand Junction :-)
Lowell Train 301 (5:35 am outbound) is operating 10-15 minutes behind schedule between S. Station and Lowell due to a mechanical issue.

Affected direction: Outbound

Last updated: Aug 09 2016 05:53 AM
  by octr202

491/492 cancelled Thursday morning, although I suppose this is becoming routine by now.
  by octr202

:-D
  by octr202

212 struck a pickup truck at Broadway crossing in Wakefield. Photos from Fox 25:

https://twitter.com/fox25news/status/763767145109000192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by StefanW

Video on NECN:
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Truck-Hit-by-Train-in-Wakefield-Massachusetts-Serious-Injuries-Reported-389872782.html

Control car 1628.

It came to a stop just south of Broadway.
Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 12.44.54 PM.jpg
  by dbperry

What's the protocol for inspection after a collision? Asked another way: is 1628 out of service for a while even if relatively undamaged?
  by deathtopumpkins

Looks like all the north side short turns are already getting cancelled for this evening's commute:

293, 294, 295, and 296 are cancelled.
393 and 394 cancelled.
193 and 194 cancelled.

EDIT: Apparently these are possibly due to the Patriots trains? Though I'm not sure that checks out since the Pats trains are normally all bilevels, which is certainly not true of the north side short turns.
  by Trinnau

dbperry wrote:What's the protocol for inspection after a collision? Asked another way: is 1628 out of service for a while even if relatively undamaged?
Generally a collision will cause enough damage for it to be pulled for a few days. At minimum they'll take it through the building, but based on the photos this was a square hit, likely enough to take it out. At minimum the ditchlights are probably toast.
  by Trinnau

deathtopumpkins wrote:Looks like all the north side short turns are already getting cancelled for this evening's commute:

393 and 394 cancelled.
193 and 194 cancelled.

EDIT: Apparently these are possibly due to the Patriots trains? Though I'm not sure that checks out since the Pats trains are normally all bilevels, which is certainly not true of the north side short turns.
Not likely, the north side has been struggling for weeks with equipment. I'm sure the 212 incident had something to do with it.
  by dbperry

Trinnau wrote:
dbperry wrote:What's the protocol for inspection after a collision? Asked another way: is 1628 out of service for a while even if relatively undamaged?
Generally a collision will cause enough damage for it to be pulled for a few days. At minimum they'll take it through the building, but based on the photos this was a square hit, likely enough to take it out. At minimum the ditchlights are probably toast.
Just 1628 or do they need to push the whole train through the building?
  by deathtopumpkins

Trinnau wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:Looks like all the north side short turns are already getting cancelled for this evening's commute:

393 and 394 cancelled.
193 and 194 cancelled.

Not likely, the north side has been struggling for weeks with equipment. I'm sure the 212 incident had something to do with it.
I am aware that the North Side has been struggling, it just hasn't normally been bad enough to warrant cancelling 4 RTs, which are run with 3 or 4 (is it possible for one set to run both Reading RTs?) different sets. That must mean that the T is down 3 or 4 sets this afternoon on the north side.

Maybe we could attribute these to...
-the grade crossing incident on 212
-redistributing all the sets to squeeze out approximately one set's worth of cars for Pats trains
-mechanical failure
  by Trinnau

dbperry wrote:
Trinnau wrote:
Just 1628 or do they need to push the whole train through the building?
If the damage is light enough they'll leave it on the set, thus the whole set goes through because they can make quick repairs on the service tracks and have it back in service quickly - no need to cut it off then. If it needs to go into the shop though, it gets cut.
  by sery2831

The entire sets wheels will have to be inspected.