• Strong-arm interlocking machines

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by ExCon90

I would think that in a busy tower, when a number of levers have to be thrown in rapid succession because there's always another move to line up for, and some levers are mechanical and others not, it might be useful for the leverman to have a reminder "don't put your back into this one, or you could end up on the floor." I think FORD interlocking in Philadelphia was mechanical right up until it was remoted, and I think even BRILL was mechanical for a long time, when every northbound passenger train had to cross over, as well as a lot of southbound expresses. That must have made for an exhausting day.
  by philipmartin

In a busy tower, the operator and levermen better know the levers, if they don't want delays. If you put in forty hours a week throwing the levers in a tower, you get to know them pretty well.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by philipmartin

ExCon90 wrote: That must have made for an exhausting day.
I worked with an old time Pennsy employee around 1970. Back when he was young, towermen, and everybody else, put in twelve hour days, with one day off a month; and then they would be called in on that day too.
Personally, I found throwing levers around for a few hours tiring; I couldn't have worked in the old days.
  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote:Wonder if Ice would affect the outside mechanical workings ?
You have to keep the rods clear of snow probably. We had one switch in Dover (New Jersey) that was in a depression. M of W men would melt the snow, and the it would freeze. Can't throw a switch when it is frozen.
I worked two towers with levers connected to the switches, but never a tower where the lever was connected to a signal. I can only think of one with a semaphore signal, and that was connected electrically.
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:A different signalling problem!

Beavers cut Trans-Siberian Railway signal wiring

I've had little critters get under the hood of one of my parked vehicle and "wittle free" on wires and hoses. I live in the country, and leave vehicles parked out doors.,
  by David Benton

We don't have beavers, but rats and mice love elctrical wires. they also chew wire entry points to get into buildings. I often thought those covered cable ways they use to the signals etc would make ideal rat races, but I havent heard of them been a problem for signals in NZ. In the days of overhead wires, oppossum was the biggest problem, they seem to think power poles are trees.
  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote:We don't have beavers, but rats and mice love elctrical wires. they also chew wire entry points to get into buildings. I often thought those covered cable ways they use to the signals etc would make ideal rat races, but I havent heard of them been a problem for signals in NZ. In the days of overhead wires, oppossum was the biggest problem, they seem to think power poles are trees.
I have ground hogs, (woodchucks,) on my propertey and I suspect them of moving into my vehicle.
  by philipmartin

I have photos of the model board and levers in Paoli Tower above. The fall 2015 issue of Classic Trains has a two page photo of Paoli in 1960, before some of the tracks were removed, I think.
  by philipmartin

Blocking trains on the London Midland & Scottish Ry. This features a fine English cow on the line, which will make it interesting for David. I think that I posted this one before, but it is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv-T2KRa7k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by David Benton

philipmartin wrote:Blocking trains on the London Midland & Scottish Ry. This features a fine English cow on the line, which will make it interesting for David. I think that I posted this one before, but it is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv-T2KRa7k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They milked that one for all its worth.
  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: They milked that one for all its worth.
I don't know. That udder looks pretty full to me, but I defer to your expertise. That cow has a lovely face. I'm glad the Lakes Express didn't turn him into bacon.
  by johnthefireman

Bacon? From a cow? If you're going to get processed meat from a cow, biltong, maybe. Or sausages.