• Ellison Avenue bridge replacement

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Morisot

Thanks, hotbike -- think your photos help to show how tight that area is by the Ellison Avenue bridge.
  by Morisot

Thanks, Herring, for the link to that super video.
  by MACTRAXX

Herring: I'll second that - This video was excellent and showed literally the entire demolition process...

MACTRAXX
  by LB

It looks like there is a gap in the 3rd rail near the bridge. Did they remove a section for the project?
  by Amtrak7

Does anyone happen to know a rough time on Sunday that the video ends? (noon? afternoon? evening?)
  by Handtamp

Cool video.

I'd guess it ends late afternoon, maybe around 4 or 5 PM judging from the sun and shadows.

I'm sure the neighbors weren't too thrilled with the whole process, especially the hammering in the middle of the night, but at least it is down and now just has to go back up.
  by SwingMan

Well some projects have to get done, whether or not people will complain about the noise. The bridge was in horrendous shape. I'm sure most are fine with it considering the condition of the former bridge.
  by BM6569

I'm guessing the new overpass will be wide enough for 3 tracks below?
  by hotbike

BM6569 wrote:I'm guessing the new overpass will be wide enough for 3 tracks below?
I hope so, otherwise they are going to have to tear it down again...
  by MattAmity90

Just received this bulletin regarding the Ellison Avenue project off of MTA.info:

Customers Advised to Plan for Major Delays Sat. & Sun., Oct. 24 & 25 as LIRR Installs New Ellison Ave. Bridge

Buses Replace Trains between Hicksville & Mineola for 48 Hours; Port Jefferson & Ronkonkoma Customers Are Advised to Use Other Branches

An estimated 40,000 Long Island Rail Road customers could face considerable delays over the weekend of Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 when the LIRR suspends train service on the Main Line between Hicksville and Mineola for the installation of a new bridge in Westbury.

The outage will impact the Port Jefferson Branch and the Ronkonkoma Branch most severely with customers facing 40-60 minutes of extra travel time because bus service will be replacing train service between Hicksville and Mineola. It will have significantly less impact on other branches, which make them a better option for Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma branch customers. The new bridge is scheduled to open for vehicular traffic by April 2016 and all construction activities, including site restoration, will be completed by June 2016.

Summary of Changes for Weekend of Saturday & Sunday October 24-25

Ronkonkoma Branch:

Buses replace trains between Hicksville and Mineola.
Bethpage customers will be bused between Mineola and Hicksville.
Ronkonkoma through Farmingdale customers will travel to and from Penn Station by train without transfers, as trains will be diverted via the Central & Babylon Branches.

Port Jefferson Branch:
Buses replace trains between Hicksville and Mineola for the entire weekend.
Trains between Huntington and Port Jefferson will operate every two hours.
Service between Huntington and Penn Station will operate hourly.
Carle Place and Westbury will be served by buses only.

Attention Mets Fans:
Since the Mets are in the National League Championship Series (NLCS), they could have games at Citi Field on Saturday, October 24 and/or Sunday, October 25. Customers are advised to avoid busing and delays by taking south shore branches or the Port Washington Branch. For direct service to Woodside, use the Babylon or Port Washington Branches. Ronkonkoma Branch trains will not stop at Woodside on the weekend of October 24-25.

Other LIRR Projects Taking Place This Weekend:
In addition to the bridge work, the LIRR will take advantage of the 48-hour train service suspension by performing other critical work in the vicinity during the outage. These additional efforts will include track work and drainage improvements between Mineola and Hicksville and replacement of the 12th St. crossing in New Hyde Park. To accommodate the grade crossing improvement work, vehicular traffic will be diverted from 12th Street to Covert Avenue and New Hyde Park Road for the entire weekend.

Traffic Detours
A reminder that during the construction of the new Ellison Avenue Bridge, only local traffic is allowed on Ellison Ave. Other vehicles must detour to Post Ave. and Cherry Lane in Westbury.

Parking at Hicksville Station
The Town of Oyster Bay parking lot on the north side of Hicksville Station will be closed on Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 to accommodate buses transporting customers between Hicksville and Mineola. Parking will be available in the Town parking garage just east of Hicksville Station.