• System Maps

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Trains

Does anyone have any maps of the routes Guilford currently operates? The ones on their website are pretty outdated, although those are interesting to look at to see how much less vast the Guilford Rail System is now.

by MEC407

Using www.archive.org I was able to find the system maps that Guilford no longer has on their web site:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101101612 ... pindex.htm

by Trains

It is quite impressive on how much trackage they claim to operate. I was wondering, as it appears on the map, does Guilford really serve White River Jct.? Whenever I see Guilford in action it is usually in the Biddeford area and the Winthrop area and I know those two lines are very active. But I never realised that Guilford claims to go so far east. I always thought they went as far as Old Town.

by MEC407

Guilford's main line stretches from northern Maine to eastern New York, and includes quite a few branches and secondary lines all over Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts. They also operate some trackage in Connecticut.

by sery2831

Guilford does indeed go to White River, VT up the conn river line.

by Otto Vondrak

I think it's funny that the only maps they do post officially are B&M and MEC maps from the World War I era. Their web site is a complete joke, not surprising though. Looks like a high school kid did it in their spare time for Uncle Tim.

by MEC407

Otto Vondrak wrote:Their web site is a complete joke, not surprising though. Looks like a high school kid did it in their spare time for Uncle Tim.
That's basically what I've been saying all along. :wink:

Actually, I think most high school kids with novice-level computer knowledge could do a better job. Heck, I know some elementary school kids who could, too.

Guilford's Pan Am web site (www.flypanam.com) is much more sophisticated in comparison. This further reinforces the theory that Guilford uses profits from the railroad to fund and promote their money-losing airline.

by bwparker1

Their website is horrible, MEC407 hits the nail on the head. I would be scared to ship anything with them.

Brooks

by efin98

I doubt it was even the official site, looks more like a website a railfan cooked up.

by MEC407

efin98 wrote:I doubt it was even the official site, looks more like a website a railfan cooked up.
Are you talking about www.guilfordrail.com ?

If so, it *is* Guilford's official corporate web site. Sad but true.

Besides, you shouldn't insult railfans that way! :P

by efin98

MEC407 wrote:
efin98 wrote:I doubt it was even the official site, looks more like a website a railfan cooked up.
Are you talking about www.guilfordrail.com ?

If so, it *is* Guilford's official corporate web site. Sad but true.

Besides, you shouldn't insult railfans that way! :P
OK I stand corrected on the "offical" part but I still stand behind what I said. It looks like something a railfan cooked up and probably was a spur of the moment suggestion from someone in the marketting department. I doubt it does much if anything for the company, hence it's crappy appearance.

by cpf354

MEC407 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Their web site is a complete joke, not surprising though. Looks like a high school kid did it in their spare time for Uncle Tim.
That's basically what I've been saying all along. :wink:

Actually, I think most high school kids with novice-level computer knowledge could do a better job. Heck, I know some elementary school kids who could, too.

Guilford's Pan Am web site (www.flypanam.com) is much more sophisticated in comparison. This further reinforces the theory that Guilford uses profits from the railroad to fund and promote their money-losing airline.
As airline web sites go, Pan Am's is just as much of a joke as Guilford's. Compare it to say www.united.com, or www.aa.com. Actually Delta and United are losing some BIG money, so matbe Pan Am/Clipper Connection isn't losing that much money at all; since they don't fly all that much.