• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by charlie6017

Nice photos, UT-1!!
  by Snowmojoe

Nice to see the boys are supporting the local economy by stopping at garage sales on their way down Schuyler St.

(by the way I'm voting cat tower)
  by ut-1

Here'a a photo taken this morning showing three empty boxcars at Oneida Warehouse, New Hartford. This customer receives a lot of "excess height" cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by lackman

Thanks for the picture by the warehouse!!! Same old blue siding I remember on the paper plant years ago.

Thats 3 more cars than I ever saw in my multiple trips home over the last 10 years or so on this branch.!!!
Track looks pretty decent.

Appreciate it. By the way, looked at 1000+ cat towers on ebay, and have seen nothing close to what is on the engine.
Petsmart didn't have anything close on their web site either.

Anyone knows the crew??? Maybe they can tell us what it is.

Best regards, HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!

Lackman
  by ut-1

Thanks, Lackman! As you likely know, the NYS&W reaches New Hartford's Oneida Warehouse via ex-NYO&W trackage. O&W milepost 272 still serves as a monument along the branch and is approx 1/10th of a mile west of the bridge over the Sauquoit Creek. As you can see, the homeowner has done a fine job maintaining this old mile post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

The lower picture shows 3040 crossing a bridge over the Sauquoit Creek in Washington Mills today. A few minutes later, as shown in the upper picture, it is shown crossing Furnace St, Clayville:
  by ut-1

Here are two final photos from yesterday's chase. One photo depicts the 3040 preparing to leave the Utica yard while the other photo shows the freight a short time later on Schuyler Street (notice that the crew set out one car before exiting the yard as there were 5 cars in the first photo but only 4 as the freight headed southbound on Schuyler).
  by ut-1

It was a very slow work day and, being self-employed, I was able to take a break to follow the 3040 again.

The first picture shows 3040 moving westbound on ex-O&W trackage; it's just about to cross Wilbur Road, New Hartford, and is on its way to pick up 6 empty boxcars from Oneida Warehouse.

The next picture shows the freight being shoved easterly, approx 2 rail miles or so from the warehouse; it is nearing the junction of O&W trackage with that of the West Shore.

The third picture shows the 3040 with "one foot" on the O&W and the other on the West Shore.
  by ut-1

The fourth photo shows the conductor on the ground, having just thrown the switch to allow 3040 to proceed on ex-West Shore trackage to pick-up an empty covered hopper in New York Mills.

The fifth photo: All Aboard for the Mills!

The sixth photo: a short distance later approaching Chenango Road crossing, Utica.
  by ut-1

The final photo shows the eight car freight running along the North-South Arterial, Utica, just past the old Scheidelman's Warehouse (the eighth car being another covered hopper that came up from Sangerfield earlier in the afternoon & was tied down on the main before the crew headed to New Hartford & New York Mills).
  by charlie6017

Excellent set of photos, Mr. UT-1......Happy New Year to you and to all! :-D

Charlie
  by ut-1

Thanks for the nice feedback, Charlie. Happy New Year to you as well!
  by Steve F45

need some video, especially when they have to climb the hill out of utica. I forget the name.
  by ut-1

That'd be Paris Hill, "Steve F45." No videos today, but I did happen upon the crew this afternoon switching Utica Club Brewery; this is done right off the Susquehanna's Schuyler Street trackage.

1) Tying down a boxcar preparatory to the brewery switching operation.

2) Moving Forward.

3) Cleaning tracks of snow & ice.
  by ut-1

4) The Way Forward.

5) Steady As She Goes.

6) "I sure hope the brewery opens that overhead door quickly." it took the brewery folks 1/2 hour to do so while the crew waited....)
Last edited by ut-1 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.