• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

Well I got #609 on train #94 today. So far this thing is a dog, but I'm guessing it's due to factors outside of locomotive performance. Topped out at 86 mph between DC and New Carrolton where the HHP's routinely had us up to 125.
  by chuchubob

Keystone Service train 662 had 602 on Wednesday. Train 43 Pennsylvanian had 616 to Philly and a seventh car.
  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:Well I got #609 on train #94 today. So far this thing is a dog, but I'm guessing it's due to factors outside of locomotive performance. Topped out at 86 mph between DC and New Carrolton where the HHP's routinely had us up to 125.
It was pouring rain today, that train was sold out and had 9 cars. The HHP-8 couldnt do that good in the rain either. You are talking about a stretch thats got trees everywhere, and is ALL uphill pretty much from DC to New Carrollton.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Well I got #609 on train #94 today. So far this thing is a dog, but I'm guessing it's due to factors outside of locomotive performance. Topped out at 86 mph between DC and New Carrolton where the HHP's routinely had us up to 125.
It was pouring rain today, that train was sold out and had 9 cars. The HHP-8 couldnt do that good in the rain either. You are talking about a stretch thats got trees everywhere, and is ALL uphill pretty much from DC to New Carrollton.
609 has been taking its sweet time the entire way up not just there. They were 50 minutes in the dump by New Haven. As I type this (approximately 11:36 PM) the train has not made Boston yet.

EDIT- Dixieland showed the train just made it (11:37PM).
  by Matt Johnson

Yeah, it was a long ride to Newark! Almost slipped and fell in the vestibule despite using the grab handles while walking to the cafe - those Amfleet vestibules get slippery when it rains! I was fine, but I can see how elderly passengers especially can find it a challenge moving through the train.

Anyway, yeah we were doing 95 - 100 in a lot of places we'd normally do 125. We were at only 108 mph by Princeton Junction, but then finally did hit 122 or so just north of there.
  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:Yeah, it was a long ride to Newark! Almost slipped and fell in the vestibule despite using the grab handles while walking to the cafe - those Amfleet vestibules get slippery when it rains! I was fine, but I can see how elderly passengers especially can find it a challenge moving through the train.

Anyway, yeah we were doing 95 - 100 in a lot of places we'd normally do 125. We were at only 108 mph by Princeton Junction, but then finally did hit 122 or so just north of there.
Musta been the operator then. :wink: Had no problems with 618 pulling the same amount of cars on train 148 right behind it, but it did take very long to even get to track speed when it did. Any of these things are not going to take off well in foul weather. And HHPs are the absolute worst in it.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Heads up; while I haven't read it at this time, it appears there is a comprehensive article regarding the ACS-64 locomotives in January TRAINS.
  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Heads up; while I haven't read it at this time, it appears there is a comprehensive article regarding the ACS-64 locomotives in January TRAINS.
I have just read it. Quite an interesting article.

I think it's a BIT early to compare them to the GG-1s as the cover does, but overall they had a lot of nice stuff to say about them.
  by gokeefe

Greg Moore wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Heads up; while I haven't read it at this time, it appears there is a comprehensive article regarding the ACS-64 locomotives in January TRAINS.
I have just read it. Quite an interesting article.

I think it's a BIT early to compare them to the GG-1s as the cover does, but overall they had a lot of nice stuff to say about them.
Interesting....I didn't realize the new engines were equipped with "quill drive" motors and solid state electronics......lol.... :-D
  by CommuterColin0906

An ACS64 was on 169 tonight, but I could not tell if the number was 621 or 623.
  by acelaphillies

My issue has not yet arrived in the mail, but in the back of the last issue of Trains I saw the preview for next issue which read, "Is Amtrak's new ACS-64 a worthy successor to the GG1?" I don't know about you, but I think the AEM-7's were a worthy successor to the GG1, now we need the Sprinter to be a worthy successor to the AEM-7.
  by gokeefe

acelaphillies wrote:I don't know about you, but I think the AEM-7's were a worthy successor to the GG1, now we need the Sprinter to be a worthy successor to the AEM-7.
Very well said. It will be interesting to see what happens when the time comes to compile the history of Amtrak's AEM-7 fleet. Probably one of the single heaviest rates of utilization for electric locomotives in passenger service ever.
  by ApproachMedium

gokeefe wrote:
Interesting....I didn't realize the new engines were equipped with "quill drive" motors and solid state electronics......lol.... :-D
Yea actually they are. All of the locos amtrak has on the NEC except for the E60 have a quill drive. And no, im not kidding. Also the ALP44s and ALP46s have it too. Its fairly common with electric locomotives now mostly ones that have truck mounted traction motors vs axle mounted like road diesels.

EDIT:
The Modern Quill drive.
  by gokeefe

That is really cool! I learned something new. Thanks!
  by ApproachMedium

If you ever noticed the bolts on the ALP46 wheels, thats how they connect the wheel to the quill on those locomotives.