• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

Maybe because the Watertown Branch is not officially abandoned? Or for MW storage in
the future? The plan is to retire W Cambridge Interlocking and Hill Crossing Interlockings
and put a new one west of Brighton Street.

The other reason involves the old Telephone Track, a long track that parallels the mainline
from the East Yard to Brighton St/Hill Crossing. Believe it or not, when the news of ethanol
trains were first brought up, there was talk of staging trains on it until Global could take
them. If this is even a remote possibility, I don't know. Railroad rumor does talk about
Global doing something rail oriented in the future.

D
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

diburning wrote:The Watertown Branch had a customer until early 2006 IIRC. Since then, there are saplings (or maybe even full sized trees by now) growing up from between the ties just past the switch.
The track is washed out where it curves along Danehy Park, and has sunk below ground past there. That lowest-lying part of the park near the fence there has been plagued by sinkholes. Every part of the line on the curve until it straightens out behind the new condos at the end of New St. has rails at or below soil level now. The branch stub out to the first crossing wouldn't be usable for any storage under any circumstances. I live in that neighborhood and walk by here every day...it's not just being claimed by nature, it's being outright swallowed by the ground underneath it at alarming pace. If they keep anything for storage it'll be the yard lead which is still in decent shape out to the first ex- West Cambridge Yard switch directly across the tracks from the Alewife MOW shed, before it starts getting a little dodgy west of there (they never cleaned all the tree branches that fell on the tracks after the Winter 2010 storms). The siding into the electrical substation that was used for transformer moves when it was first built is also inoperable now. They ripped up the pavement in the parking lot in front of the substation a few years ago to install some new equipment and pulled out one (only one) of the rails, then repaved the lot with the other rail perfectly preserved in the pavement. Odd.

Like I said...why on earth would they want to retain any switch here when the MOW tracks are all of 40 feet across the way. It's not like the ever use the easterly stub between the security fence and end of track. If anything needs a hand-throw switch it's probably tacking +20 feet onto that siding from where the bumper post currently is and tying that in. I doubt the T would ever want to store things on that side since trespassers routinely get on those tracks as a shortcut between Sherman St. and the park (holes have been cut in the chain link fence). The liability cost for risk of taggers and whatnot is probably too dodgy to bother with that side of the tracks vs. the MOW side with onsite security.

GP40MC1118 wrote:Maybe because the Watertown Branch is not officially abandoned? Or for MW storage in
the future? The plan is to retire W Cambridge Interlocking and Hill Crossing Interlockings
and put a new one west of Brighton Street.

The other reason involves the old Telephone Track, a long track that parallels the mainline
from the East Yard to Brighton St/Hill Crossing. Believe it or not, when the news of ethanol
trains were first brought up, there was talk of staging trains on it until Global could take
them. If this is even a remote possibility, I don't know. Railroad rumor does talk about
Global doing something rail oriented in the future.

D
It's abandoned. All the STB dockets are closed, and PAR sold it to the state last year. DCR did the purchase and owns it everywhere except on the Waterworks easement which was conferred to City of Cambridge. A little weird that the sale broke that way, because the MassDOT mothership owns the Grove St.-School St. segment abandoned 1996 and leases it to DCR for the trail. I don't know why they'd break the ownership like that and let DCR buy outright the rest of the way.

Maybe they're just waiting to see how much GLX messes things up in Somerville and whether PAR is going to have to detour some freight down the Fitchburg Line, suburban NIMBY's be damned. That's the only reason I can think of for ever wanting to keep something connected there (and like I said, it would have to be the yard track because of the submersion situation on the first few feet of the Branch).

City of Cambridge seems to have no plans, BTW, for a trail from Fresh Pond Pkwy. to Fresh Pond Mall on the ROW. The Watertown Trail is scheduled to end about 300 ft. past the Huron Ave. bridge at first opportunity to rope it into the existing reservoir path. They don't want to deal with maintaining a trail in the extremely washout-prone 1650 ft. between there and the Waterworks driveway grade crossing. And the rest of the way along the parkway grade crossing buried in the Waterworks front lawn already has the walking path and the cycle track. My guess is all the Waterworks is going to do is remove the rail so people stop tripping over it at the ped crossings. And then I guess the city is just going to let it rot and collect trash, rails and all, between the other side of the parkway and Danehy Park. Which is a shame because the sidewalks on New St. are awful with all the truck curb cuts and there's enough school kids going to the park that a safe path would really be welcome. But I guess the washout/soil problems out here are not worth their while to deal with here either.
  by matredsoxfan

More signal work near Moody Street crossing in Waltham and contractor trucks were parked in the Brandies/Roberts lot all weekend. New signal base at Waltham Outbound platform. New signal bungalow was put in behind the old Savage & Company building that was demolished this year. New conduit being installed across the Elm Street crossing.
  by matredsoxfan

Crews will be ripping out the 2-track crossing at Beaver Street in Waltham this weekend. The street will be closed from 1AM Saturday Oct 4th thru 12 Noon Sunday Oct 5th 2014. Full notice is here. https://www.facebook.com/WalthamMAPolic ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hearing rumors the Moody Street crossing could be next.
  by Abe Froman

Two aerial photos from Ken Houghton of the construction progress, or lack thereof, of the station location at Wachusett as of late September, 2014. In addition, the rumored siding to Newark America is not visible in either photo. Announced Wachusett Extension Project completion date was “late 2012.”

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MBTA3247

Abe Froman wrote:Announced Wachusett Extension Project completion date was “late 2012.”
So we're right on schedule, then. :wink:
  by matredsoxfan

New conduit was layed across the Moody Street crossing in Waltham last weekend and the track was replaced through the grade crossing at Beaver Street.
  by arcadia terminal

Abe,
Good morning, your quote "In addition, the rumored siding to Newark America is not visible in either photo" The Reason the siding is not in the photo it is railroad (left) of the photo and it is not a rumored siding is it is already cut in: See attached link: In the Pan AM Railways Froum.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5&t=155980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter
  by Lincoln78

Visited Lincoln Monday 6th. The Hills/Baker Bridge area looks different with the signals, the more easterly jog and the MOW siding east of Baker Bridge/126.

The two trains that normally meet at the station around 5:44 PM we both late. The eastbound came on track one and moved over to two (normal eastbound side) at Hills. Westbound arrived after it left the station. I watched both pass from the Codman bridge and walked back to the station in time to see the 6:04 westbound arrive.

In Concord there are signs on the inbound station saying that all trains arrive in track one. Concord New London Style Pizza has a decent view of the station/tracks still has great grinders- same ownership as in the seventies when I lived in that area.

Had the chance to visit the Willows yesterday. The barricades closing the commuter tracks were cute. Saw a mower at work. The auto yard was quiet with a west-facing NS engine and autoracks behind it parked on the southern track.
  by matredsoxfan

Crews worked Sunday putting the finishing touches on the new track crossover near Moody Street (Next to Biagio Restaurant). They used a Hitachi Hi-Rail Excavator

Here is a picture of the Hitachi H-Rail https://www.flickr.com/photos/25664139@N06/15342036839/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The City has been told that crews will replace both the Moody Street & Elm Street grade crossings before Thanksgiving.
  by dth9269

Work just finished for the day in West Cambridge, west of Sherman St. Looks like there's a new grey hut on the north side of the tracks, and there seemed to be something else going on further down the tracks, but my view is blocked. Big piles of sand and gravel still remain on either side of the road.
  by rmccown

Heading home yesterday on the 417, I noticed that the bridge over Medford St seems mostly complete, some new ballast around, and various orange spray paint marks on the stub track there.
  by matredsoxfan

Crews are going to be replacing the track through the Elm Street Grade Crossing in Waltham this weekend. The road will be closed at 1:00AM on Saturday November 1st through 8:00PM on Sunday November 2nd.

Photo of message board warning of work https://www.flickr.com/photos/25664139@N06/15653919512/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;