• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Steve Wagner

As of this morning, Sunday, August 17, 2014, precast concrete sections of the center and, I think, south platforms of the South Acton station had been installed. I'd seen a crane there yesterday, which A crane took the sections off flatbed trucks and positioned. I think each sections is about 35 feet long. The crane and trucks weren't there when I was at about 9:30 a.m. today. The second track has not yet been laid through the station, and no part of the pedestrian bridge, except perhaps for footings, has been installed.
  by matredsoxfan

Track crews were working this weekend on tracks just below the Newton Street Bridge in Waltham.

Also saw this machine at Brandies/Roberts in Waltham https://www.flickr.com/photos/25664139@N06/14766573217/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was also a whole bundle of new conduit for signals in the parking lot.
  by matredsoxfan

8-21-2014 J.F White crew excavating between tracks at Elm Street crossing in Waltham. A Bundle of new conduit sitting near tracks and pavement has been sawcut across both the Moody & Elm Street crossings. https://www.flickr.com/photos/25664139@ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Abe Froman

Who/what entity owns the right of way (roadbed, bridges, ties and rails) between M.P. 329.55/49.55 (Fitchburg Station) and M.P. 336.0 (approximately entry point for Wachusett Layover facilty) as of today, i.e. Saturday, August 23, 2014?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Abe Froman wrote:Who/what entity owns the right of way (roadbed, bridges, ties and rails) between M.P. 329.55/49.55 (Fitchburg Station) and M.P. 336.0 (approximately entry point for Wachusett Layover facilty) as of today, i.e. Saturday, August 23, 2014?
Pan Am Southern (i.e. 50% Pan Am, 50% Norfolk Southern). Since PAS is in "everything must go!" mode with its branchline ownership like the Conn River and Adams Branch and have been in constant deal-making mode with the state, it's probably not going to be hard for the T to buy that short stretch of track right before revenue service begins. PAS will just want follow-through on the state's promise to add length to the Gardner Yard lead tracks to offset the loss of freight storage on the 2nd track between Fitchburg and Westminster.
  by Hoopyfrood

So as I've been passing through Shirley the past couple of weeks, I noticed that the new signal tower only has (I believe) 3 signals per track. Not each direction, but total. If I'm seeing that right, does that mean that one direction is only going to have a lone signal? I was under the impression that it was a block for both directions? Or am I missing something?
  by sery2831

This is correct. They are automatic signals(not dispatcher controlled). The single head is for the direction towards another automatic signal. The side with two heads is the signal before an interlocking, it can display more speeds. They are called 'distant signals'.
  by TrainManTy

sery2831 wrote:This is correct. They are automatic signals(not dispatcher controlled). The single head is for the direction towards another automatic signal. The side with two heads is the signal before an interlocking, it can display more speeds. They are called 'distant signals'.
Further back in this thread I mentioned that the new signal bridge at Route 117 in Lincoln has two heads for eastbound trains. These are not distant signals as far as I know (given that there's nothing going in at Hastings). What's up with those?
  by Tom coughlin

I was wondering about the eastbound signals at RT 117 in Lincoln as well. These signals are mounted on the same side of the mast vs on opposite sides like a distant signal. At least that's the way the new distant signals are on this line. I can only think this provides a "medium approach" aspect which would allow 30 MPH until the next signal. Maybe this is due to the close spacing of the stations in Weston. Does anybody know for sure?

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
  by TrainManTy

Tom coughlin wrote:I was wondering about the eastbound signals at RT 117 in Lincoln as well. These signals are mounted on the same side of the mast vs on opposite sides like a distant signal. At least that's the way the new distant signals are on this line.
Good observation. I believe the term you're looking for to describe head placement is "offset".

(Offset distant signal)
(Non-offset automatic signal)

Non-offset heads would make those signals regular automatics.
Tom coughlin wrote:I can only think this provides a "medium approach" aspect which would allow 30 MPH until the next signal. Maybe this is due to the close spacing of the stations in Weston.
Speed control signals have nothing to do with station stops, although sometimes they're used to slow down trains because of tight signal spacing. Advance Approach is the right tool for the job, though, and that can be displayed with a single flashing yellow.

The only non-speed control signal that needs two heads is Restricting. I can't imagine why they'd need that if the Hastings crossovers are being removed.

I welcome the input of anybody who's not an amateur (me) making somewhat-educated wild guesses... :-)
  by Steve Wagner

A correction to my August 17 posting: I got a better look at the South Acton station construction site this past weekend. Only one platform has been installed. I counted 24 precast sections, and I'll revise my estimate of their length to about 40' each.
  by sery2831

TrainManTy wrote:
Tom coughlin wrote:I was wondering about the eastbound signals at RT 117 in Lincoln as well. These signals are mounted on the same side of the mast vs on opposite sides like a distant signal. At least that's the way the new distant signals are on this line.
Good observation. I believe the term you're looking for to describe head placement is "offset".
Took a look today and yes indeed there are two heads facing eastbound but the bottom one is turned away and not in service. The next active signal being installed is just east of Kendal Green Station. That's a VERY long block, so not sure what is going on in between. Going west at RT 117, that is a distant signal to CP-Hills.

TrainManTy wrote: only non-speed control signal that needs two heads is Restricting. I can't imagine why they'd need that if the Hastings crossovers are being removed.

I welcome the input of anybody who's not an amateur (me) making somewhat-educated wild guesses... :-)
A Red on a single automatic is a Stop and Proceed. And that's a restricting signal, just requires a full stop.
  by TrainManTy

sery2831 wrote:The next active signal being installed is just east of Kendal Green Station. That's a VERY long block, so not sure what is going on in between.
This must be the installation that I incorrectly reported a couple pages back as being just east of Hastings (oops!). The signals being replaced on the line are generally 1.5 miles apart, while Route 117 to Kendal Green is about 3 miles.