• Abandoned RR north of Clarion on Rt66

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by SST

I am planning a mini road trip along Rt66 out of Kane. While using Google imaging, I see an abandoned RR that crosses over Rt66 several miles north of Clarion. From the looks of the image and the color of the asphalt, I would say rails were pulled up within the past couple of years.

I did a brief search here and looked at open street maps but nothing came up. Just wondering who the RR use to be and any history or links to it.

Thanks.
  by Sir Ray

Sounds like the Knox and Kane. Service ended in 2006, track removed around 2010. The collapse of the Kinzua Bridge due to a tornado was a major reason for the end of service.
Wiki entry here
  by SST

Thanks. it didn't dawn on me that it was the Knox and Kane. I rode on that line years ago before the tornado. Flew over it after it too. I always thought it was a mistake not to take advantage of the wrecked bridge. I always thought that "someone" should have built a gondola/tram down to the wreck and have a weaving boardwalk through the twisted steel.

While we are problably forbidden to admit we like trainwrecks, who are the first ones there taking pictures and discussing it. I remember an article about someone down along the wrecked bridge taking pictures less than a day after it happened. Too bad we lost the train ride.

Anyways, what's up with Marrianne, Pa along the line? Google imaging shows a 12 stall semi round house next to a turn table pit. Still there? I'll find out eventually I guess.