• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by terms-d

oibu wrote:Still holding that same general M-W-F late Am-ish departure from Himrod? I pan to be up there late next week or early the following. Any idea if FGLK has off on Columbus Day (Mon. 10/14)?
Maybe you'll get lucky and see two trains in Himrod at once. I was down there on Friday and saw both the 2306 and one of the blue six axles switching down there at the same time!
  by oibu

Thanks. 2306 was mentioned a while back to as being on the Glen job. Is it "resident" there or do they rotate power around? Might change my plans or focus more on trying to get the B&H if that unit is all I'm going to see. Single unit these days it sounds like?
  by scharnhorst

oibu wrote:Thanks. 2306 was mentioned a while back to as being on the Glen job. Is it "resident" there or do they rotate power around? Might change my plans or focus more on trying to get the B&H if that unit is all I'm going to see. Single unit these days it sounds like?
Finger Lakes often rotates power around so that Inspections and other Maintaintance can be done on the units from time to time.
  by Matt Langworthy

oibu wrote:Single unit these days it sounds like?
I've been photographing HW2 (the Himrod-Watkins Glen local) since 2007 and the job has used a single engine every time I've seen it. The train length is usually between 3 and 12 cars.
  by scharnhorst

Matt Langworthy wrote:
oibu wrote:Single unit these days it sounds like?
I've been photographing HW2 (the Himrod-Watkins Glen local) since 2007 and the job has used a single engine every time I've seen it. The train length is usually between 3 and 12 cars.
Do they run on R/C down there or is it a 2 man crew?
  by Matt Langworthy

scharnhorst wrote:Do they run on R/C down there or is it a 2 man crew?
HW2 runs with a 2 man crew.
  by scharnhorst

Matt Langworthy wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:Do they run on R/C down there or is it a 2 man crew?
HW2 runs with a 2 man crew.
wow I would have figured it would have been an R/C Job like it is in Geneva, Auburn, and Solvay.
  by Matt Langworthy

The RC jobs on FGLK tend to stay in their respective yards. HW2 leaves Himrod yard, so I'm not surprised they have a 2 man crew. The extra pair of eyes is probably useful when the train passes along the waterfront in Watkins Glen.
  by BR&P

Matt Langworthy wrote:The RC jobs on FGLK tend to stay in their respective yards. HW2 leaves Himrod yard, so I'm not surprised they have a 2 man crew. The extra pair of eyes is probably useful when the train passes along the waterfront in Watkins Glen.
Especially during bikini season! :-D
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:The RC jobs on FGLK tend to stay in their respective yards. HW2 leaves Himrod yard, so I'm not surprised they have a 2 man crew. The extra pair of eyes is probably useful when the train passes along the waterfront in Watkins Glen.
Especially during bikini season! :-D
Do they have opening position for "Spotter"??
  by poppyl

IMO, where the conductor is most useful is flagging the unsignaled Rte. 414 crossing for the siding into Cargill. I've also seen him walking in front of the train shooing people out of the way by the hotel and marina and flagging the unsignaled crossings in that area. And lest anyone forget, it's about 15 miles from Himrod to Watkins Glen with lots of rural crossings along the way. An extra set of eyes looking out the other side of the cab is a good thing.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:IMO, where the conductor is most useful is flagging the unsignaled Rte. 414 crossing for the siding into Cargill.
Good point, since there can be several train movements at that crossing when HW2 switches at Cargill.

poppyl wrote:I've also seen him walking in front of the train shooing people out of the way by the hotel and marina and flagging the unsignaled crossings in that area.
Although the bikini comments were funny, I was referring to your scenario. There are alot folks who just wander thru the waterfront area, absolutely oblivious to the train... especially during the summer.

poppyl wrote: And lest anyone forget, it's about 15 miles from Himrod to Watkins Glen with lots of rural crossings along the way. An extra set of eyes looking out the other side of the cab is a good thing.
Agreed. At least of one those crossings (Argetsinger Road) is on a steep grade, so the extra pair of eyes makes good sense there, too.
  by Matt Langworthy

Surprise! HW2 ran early this past Friday (10/11). The northbound train crossed Route 14 in Starkey shortly after 9 AM and got to the yard in Himrod before 10 AM.
  by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote:Surprise! HW2 ran early this past Friday (10/11). The northbound train crossed Route 14 in Starkey shortly after 9 AM and got to the yard in Himrod before 10 AM.
Wow, I missed that move. Certainly out of the ordinary for them. Maybe the crew wanted to get an early jump on the weekend.

Poppyl
  by poppyl

FGLK left northbound out of Himrod this AM (about 8:30) -- boxcar and a short string of rock cars. This could be a T/Th/Sat week for runs to Watkins Glen unless they make a run straight from Geneva this afternoon.

Poppyl