• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

For anyone who is interested in the model railroad club in Auburn, NY they have been keeping tabs on a new Siding that is being installed on the FGLK in Auburn with photos going up almost every week as the project moves on.
http://www.facebook.com/CayugaValleyModelRailroaders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by poppyl

I understand that governmental approval for the FGLK sidings into the Seneca Meadows landfill is just about a done deal. Proponents claim that using rail to deliver the trash to the landfill will take about 120 trucks off the roads. Does anyone know if that estimate is daily, weekly, or monthly? Or has anyone seen an estimate of the amount and frequency of the rail traffic that is expected?

Thanks.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

poppyl wrote:I understand that governmental approval for the FGLK sidings into the Seneca Meadows landfill is just about a done deal. Proponents claim that using rail to deliver the trash to the landfill will take about 120 trucks off the roads. Does anyone know if that estimate is daily, weekly, or monthly? Or has anyone seen an estimate of the amount and frequency of the rail traffic that is expected?

Thanks.

Poppyl

I would say 120 trucks daily. Figure that if the truckers are comeing up from NYC and New Jersey the same trucker will most likely make an early morning trip to the land fill then go back down to reload and then drive back up again making for 2 round trip runs in a day.

Nucor in Auburn gets switched out 3 times a day 15 gons each in the loading area at Nucor. That makes for 45 Gondolas being loaded a day. That's 225 Gondolas a week which equals up to 750 trucks that were eliminated in the city of Auburn.
  by Matt Langworthy

Does anybody know if FGLK will have excursions this fall?
  by sd80mac

scharnhorst wrote:Figure that if the truckers are comeing up from NYC and New Jersey the same trucker will most likely make an early morning trip to the land fill then go back down to reload and then drive back up again making for 2 round trip runs in a day.
do u have any idea how long it takes to drive to NYC?? there's no way he can make 2 round trip within fed max hours.
  by nysw136

The garbage truckers I've dealt with show an avg 3 1/2hr travel time out of NJ to Binghamton. But a lot of them are not running by the book as log violations and hour violations are very frequent, but it depends on the company or owner/operator. There has been a talk of a trash train out of Jersey on the NS side for the past year or two. Question is it more feasible to run NS - FGLK or NS - NYSW - FGLK out of Syracuse?

Kevin
  by sd80mac

nysw136 wrote:The garbage truckers I've dealt with show an avg 3 1/2hr travel time out of NJ to Binghamton. But a lot of them are not running by the book as log violations and hour violations are very frequent, but it depends on the company or owner/operator. There has been a talk of a trash train out of Jersey on the NS side for the past year or two. Question is it more feasible to run NS - FGLK or NS - NYSW - FGLK out of Syracuse?

Kevin

plus approx 2 hours from binghamton to canandaigau-geneva area.. There's no expressway so it's not gonna be easy for trucks to get to there quickly... they're gonna be behind slow cars for sure and not many chance to pass the slow cars.
  by CPSD40-2

I had to chuckle a few weeks back when the Geneva City Council passed a motion opposing the spur ( symbolic, more than anything ) because one of the councilors remarks were played on the local news radio - not verbatim, but "If they build a spur to Seneca Meadows, then it is only a matter of time before one is built to the landfill in Flint". Wow - can you imagine re-installing the PRR Elmira branch from Bellona all the way to Flint?

Good on FGLK for pushing on this, it has been in discussion for many years and shot down at least once in the past. Once people get past the misconception that this means an INCREASE in the amount of garbage ( they are only permitted to put a certain tonnage in ) I hope they will realize what a great thing this is. Anything to reduce the veritable road-train of garbage haulers through Geneva is fine with most residents!
  by terms-d

CPSD40-2 wrote:I had to chuckle a few weeks back when the Geneva City Council passed a motion opposing the spur ( symbolic, more than anything ) because one of the councilors remarks were played on the local news radio - not verbatim, but "If they build a spur to Seneca Meadows, then it is only a matter of time before one is built to the landfill in Flint". Wow - can you imagine re-installing the PRR Elmira branch from Bellona all the way to Flint?
Or south from Phelps Jct...
  by poppyl

nysw136 wrote: There has been a talk of a trash train out of Jersey on the NS side for the past year or two. Question is it more feasible to run NS - FGLK or NS - NYSW - FGLK out of Syracuse?

Kevin
I guess the answer to that question would depend upon rate structures, scheduling, and maybe crew availability. From a purely biased perspective, if NS gets the job in NJ, I'd like to see the business stay with NS to Geneva, either as additional traffic for HO-6 or a separate unit train up the Corning Secondary. Gosh knows, there is plenty of excess capacity on the Secondary these days.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

From what I hear FGLK has been sinking a ton of money into the line between Geneva and Solvay over the summer. I have not heard anything yet about that mile long passing siding that they plan to install East of the station in Skaneateles JCT on the South side.
  by oibu

Still holding that same general M-W-F late Am-ish departure from Himrod? I pan to be up there late next week or early the following. Any idea if FGLK has off on Columbus Day (Mon. 10/14)?
  by poppyl

oibu wrote:Still holding that same general M-W-F late Am-ish departure from Himrod?
Yup. FGLK tends to leave a little earlier on Mondays (between 9 and 10 AM) and later on Wednesdays and Fridays (normally between 10 AM and noon but there have been a few early Wednesday afternoon runs in the last several weeks). I'd swing by the Himrod yard (Severne Road) first to get a sense of a particular day's schedule.

Poppyl