• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by njtmnrrbuff

Better luck next time for those who couldn't book the trip. The advantage of the trip running both days is you can ride it on one day and chase and photograph it the next.

I hope that there are photo stops on the trip especially since the lighting at 30th St Sta is not the best.
  by Suburban Station

since this one sold out faster than the last one it would seem that amtrak has only begun to scratch the surface of the market. perhaps it won't be the last chance, this could be an annual event provided it keeps selling.
  by Jersey_Mike

People need to remember to check back within 24 hours of departure. Because of Amtrak's refund policy there is no cost to buying now and then canceling if you decide you can't make it. I have one friend who bought two tkts on the first train but is still on the fence about going on the trip.
  by Sisko24

Yes. So let's hope those who decide not to use the tickets they bought do remember to cancel them before the excursion thereby opening spot(s) for those who would like to go but weren't able to purchase them today.
  by ThirdRail7

I understand they are examining the possibility of lengthening the consist but things may be too tight with all the extra trains running around and Thanksgiving not long after the trip.

We'll see. I'd check the site in a few days.
  by Jersey_Mike

That encourages scalping. Amtrak should just offer a standby line at 30th St. Scan everyone then take from standby to fill the train.
  by Suburban Station

how could you scalp a ticket that has your name on it? it's not like a sports game where the bearer is entitled to a seat. verify the person is the same as the one on the name of the ticket
  by Jersey_Mike

Amtrak's ID checks are less then rigorous. One can also switch name with a call to 1-800-USA-RAIL.
  by ThirdRail7

Indeed, they added a few more cars. I don't know if it will help to look at this point, but you may want to give it a shot every now and then.
  by ThirdRail7

I don't know if it is the added cars, cancellations or both but there are seats available at the moment.
  by BuddSilverliner269

I'm almost sure it will be P42s unless you already knew that and you're wondering if it will be heritage unit and I'm sure it will be the veterans unit and the heritage unit that has been floating around philly for awhile.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I should have rephrased my question a little better. Yes I meant to ask if any of the heritage painted P42s will power the train, which would be nice.
  by ThirdRail7

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I'm almost sure it will be P42s unless you already knew that and you're wondering if it will be heritage unit and I'm sure it will be the veterans unit and the heritage unit that has been floating around philly for awhile.
Nothing has been named yet but the Veteran Unit and Exhibit train is headed south for an excursion. It is possible since it would be back in time but it would be a real squeaker. It would be a kick to see P40s on this move.