Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1225840  by Noel Weaver

Jersey_Mike wrote:I went to HARRIS tower two weeks ago and the Harrisburg Chapter NRHS folks were all pissed off that Amtrak had broken their hold on the eastern fall foliage racket. I think the greatest indignity for them was having to drive to Philly to catch the train! Personally I had zero sympathy for them.
Since WHEN does any outfit have a "hold" on anything when it comes to railroad trips. Maybe it is time for their leaders to get off their butts and do something rather than just talk and criticize.
Noel Weaver
 #1225939  by Suburban Station

Jersey_Mike wrote:I went to HARRIS tower two weeks ago and the Harrisburg Chapter NRHS folks were all pissed off that Amtrak had broken their hold on the eastern fall foliage racket. I think the greatest indignity for them was having to drive to Philly to catch the train! Personally I had zero sympathy for them.
it would have been nice if the first keystone would have met with the special
 #1226266  by CentralValleyRail

For those taking it tomorrow can those of you today tell us a little about the trip.

How early do you recommend getting to philly tomorrow?

Boarding time?

Was there any stops along the way.

What time did the train hit Perryville, Harrisburg?

Ontime return to Philly?

Snack car offerings? Box Lunch offerings?

Any brochures, goodies handed out?

Thanks!
 #1226284  by Patrick Boylan

CentralValleyRail wrote: How early do you recommend getting to philly tomorrow?
According to the timestamp I see you posted at 12:04 am. I hope you got some sleep, otherwise even if somebody gives you getting to philly TODAY advice in time you might enjoy much of the ride from the inside of your eyelids.
 #1226285  by CNJGeep

CentralValleyRail wrote:For those taking it tomorrow can those of you today tell us a little about the trip.

How early do you recommend getting to philly tomorrow?

Boarding time?

Was there any stops along the way.

What time did the train hit Perryville, Harrisburg?

Ontime return to Philly?

Snack car offerings? Box Lunch offerings?

Any brochures, goodies handed out?

Thanks!
Get to 30th Street ASAP. I got there at 8 yesterday and the line was already huge. No stops, except quick ones in Perryville, Harrisburg, and Lancaster to pick up and drop off crews as necessary. The train was bang on time and we actually got back to Philly a few minutes to the good. The café did NOT offer hot food. I didn't eat the sandwich in my box lunch-it had veggies-but my tripmates really enjoyed it. You get an insulated bag with the trip logo and a map with the route on it. The line for the café was intense on the NEC, but once we hit the Port Road it was okay. I got kind of lucky since I was right behind one of the café cars. Hope this helps, sorry to ramble.
 #1226294  by acelaphillies

Jersey_Mike wrote:It was a great trip and the proportion of railfans was smaller than I had expected which means it wasn't a one-off thing that attracted the rare mileage collectors.
It's good to hear that everyone had an enjoyable trip! Mike, what category would you say that the majority of the people fell under? Older couples, families with kids, railfans? It will be interesting to see which group these trips appealed to the most.
 #1226344  by Lady Penelope

Amtrak #803
"Autumn Express"

Sunday
November 3, 2013

23 Cars

P42DC 145
P40DC 822
Amfleet II Coach 25105
Amfleet II Coach 25090
Amfleet II Coach 25086
Amfleet II Coach 25025
Amfleet II Coach 25016
Amfleet II Coach 25101
Amfleet II Coach 25068
Amfleet I Coach 82551
Amfleet I Coach 82766
Amfleet I Coach 82772
Amfleet I Coach 82603
Amfleet II Cafe 28003
Horizon Coach 54553
Horizon Coach 54533
Horizon Coach 54575
Horizon Coach 54513
Horizon Coach 54547
Amfleet II Cafe 28023
Horizon Coach 54573
Horizon Coach 54581
Horizon Coach 54503
Horizon Coach 54567
Conference Car 9800
 #1226352  by ThirdRail7

In the existing thread that deals with the Autumn Express Amtrak Rare Mileage Excursion in the Mid-Atlantic Region, the consist is noted as 16 cars. It has nine Horizons, four Am1s, two AM2 lounges and the 9800. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, and why you're starting another thread, but the consist you listed is incorrect. It seems as if you added a bunch of Am2 coaches from somewhere. One of those coaches you mentioned isn't even on the road!

You may want to check your sources and monitor the existing thread for pictures and videos.