• Greenlawn

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by RPM2Night

jayrmli wrote:
So the Greenlawn team track is now a "no-go" for NYA service? With regard to the tankcars at Huntington team track, the customer seems to be in no rush to unload them. Is this a cost-effective business practice?
Tank cars are privately owned, and not subject to fees that are associated with other types of cars. The railroad doesn't have to pay for these cars while they sit on the property. So if it costs them nothing, it doesn't matter to them.

This is why customers that take cars like this (tank cars, privately owned covered hoppers, etc.) sometimes use these cars for storage. It's actually cheaper than to unload them right away and have to store them.

Jay
does this mean we may eventually see the tank car in freeport move?
  by SwingMan

RPM2Night wrote:
jayrmli wrote:
So the Greenlawn team track is now a "no-go" for NYA service? With regard to the tankcars at Huntington team track, the customer seems to be in no rush to unload them. Is this a cost-effective business practice?
Tank cars are privately owned, and not subject to fees that are associated with other types of cars. The railroad doesn't have to pay for these cars while they sit on the property. So if it costs them nothing, it doesn't matter to them.

This is why customers that take cars like this (tank cars, privately owned covered hoppers, etc.) sometimes use these cars for storage. It's actually cheaper than to unload them right away and have to store them.

Jay
does this mean we may eventually see the tank car in freeport move?
Um thats a covered hopper and the place uses it for storage.
  by The Tenth Legion

Hmm.....we went from Greenlawn to Freeport.
  by RPM2Night

Sorry, hopper car. Brain fart.

We went from Greenlawn, to Huntington, then Freeport lol. I was just trying to tie it in with the mention of the private tank cars in Huntington. Is it possible that we'd see that car in freeport move, or is it just going to be tied down there with no plans of moving it? If a car is privately owned, wouldn't the owner eventually want it back?
  by freightguy

I think Quality Lineals bought the car and just keeps there in the siding. This was around 2001 or 02. It was be interesting to see what happens when the company closes or moves. That was a weird a switch you used to have to hold the main without clearing up. The LIRR's reasoning for this was that they couldn't see it on their model board at Valley tower. They couldn't see if train was actually in clear or not at this electric lock switch. The same holds true at Urathene products switch at New hyde Park where the new costumer receives tank cars.
  by LRail

Back to Greenlawn though, a few years ago I did see someone unloading a boxcar on the siding. What happened to that customer?
  by LRail

Is the trackwork being done here related to any future freight customer? And what happened to the last customer that took a boxcar on the freight platform?
  by LRail

Will Velvetop ever receive in Greenlawn again?
  by Teutobergerwald

Saw 268 & 155 running around their train of two empty centerbeam flatcars (where'd they pick those up?), three or four loaded centerbeam flats & a single GATX covered hopper at Northport to head back west this morning around 1110 or so. Why not run around the train at Greenlawn, since it's closer to Kleet, Nassau-Suffolk Lumber & the Huntington team yard, the destination for most of the cars in the train?
  by freightguy

Greenlawn is a double end freight with hand thrown electric lock switches. This requires crew to throw them and than realign by hand. Northport (Duke) is a controlled siding which Divide tower can throw the switches. Less of a hassle to come out of Duke than Greenlawn. Folow the westbound diesel right towards Huntington where probably those centerbeams would be spotted.
  by Teutobergerwald

Yesterday I noticed, while passing by on the way home, that the LIPA facility between Huntington & Greenlawn has a spur, but I couldn't see if it is still connected. Anybody know if it is or not?
  by LRail

No it's not. I'm not sure when the last car was spotted there or when the switch was yanked.
  by Teutobergerwald

Caught NYA 270 & an MP-15ac at Northport this morning waiting to head west with a mixed-bag of loaded center-beam flatcars, boxcars (including an old-school SP box) and high-side gondolas. Anybody know the particulars of this train, i.e., obviously the flatcars were for Kleet and/or the other lumber yard in Huntington. What about the rest of the consist??? Thanks.
  by Teutobergerwald

Passed through Greenlawn yesterday morning eastbound and saw LIRR track equipment spotted on the team track, rather than the siding the team track branches off of. First time I've seen anything on there since CSX, Railbox and CN boxcars every now and again 6-7-8 years or so ago. Most of the team track is in bad shape, buried for a good part of it.