• Greenlawn

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Spartan Phalanx

Nothing there when I passed by on a W/B to Huntington on Christmas. The spur looks like rails almost totally submerged in dirt. That could be why nothing seems to have been spotted there in a while.

by Spartan Phalanx

Today at 1220, 261 and 270 with two boxcars in the Greenlawn siding waiting for the W/B LIRR train to pass. I later saw these two boxcars spotted at Kleet Lumber in Huntington, and the empties that had been there removed. Nothing spotted on the team track in Greenlawn, or the Huntington team yard, just west of Huntington station.

by Spartan Phalanx

There was an LIRR MP-15ac on the siding in greenlawn this afternoon around 4:10pm. I don't know if it was laying over or waiting for the E/B I was on to pass.
  by The Tenth Legion

Any off-line customers using the Greenlawn team track currently? I have'nt been over that way in a while. Thanks.
  by jmeechum

Just west of the station...

10/18/08

Am I correct in assuming that this is the team track?
  by The Tenth Legion

Good picture. That's the team track.
  by The Tenth Legion

Has NYA come calling at the Greenlawn team track for any off-line customers recently? Thanks.
  by UN Block

Southdown Pet Products used to receive cars on the Team Track back in the 70s.

And just WHO is the "tank car guy" on the Huntington Team Track???? I could swear the same two or three tank cars have been sitting there for three years now! :-D
  by jayrmli

Velvetop used to take cars of calcium chloride in Huntington. That's probably who they're for.

Jay
  by UN Block

Thanks Jay!
  by phantom

Those are Velvetop's tanks in Huntington team, and one of them has been there for quite some time.The other was swaped out a month or so ago. He used to also receive boxcars of bagged calcium chloride at Greenlawn. We recently tried to utilize the team track for that purpose but were denied due to track conditions. Crew reported debris on team track as well as other concerns. Last time I was in there we "ran" into some of those parked cars that can be seen in the photograph above!
  by The Tenth Legion

So the Greenlawn team track is now a "no-go" for NYA service? With regard to the tankcars at Huntington team track, the customer seems to be in no rush to unload them. Is this a cost-effective business practice?
  by jmeechum

phantom wrote:Those are Velvetop's tanks in Huntington team, and one of them has been there for quite some time.The other was swaped out a month or so ago. He used to also receive boxcars of bagged calcium chloride at Greenlawn. We recently tried to utilize the team track for that purpose but were denied due to track conditions. Crew reported debris on team track as well as other concerns. Last time I was in there we "ran" into some of those parked cars that can be seen in the photograph above!
Steve and I were trying to determine what was on these pallets ( I don't recall if we did...) Photo is from Steve Lynch's website http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/islipfreight.htm (since I can't seem to find what I did with my copy...)

This delivery is for Velvetop in Islip. Might this be bagged calcium chloride on these skids?
  by jayrmli

So the Greenlawn team track is now a "no-go" for NYA service? With regard to the tankcars at Huntington team track, the customer seems to be in no rush to unload them. Is this a cost-effective business practice?
Tank cars are privately owned, and not subject to fees that are associated with other types of cars. The railroad doesn't have to pay for these cars while they sit on the property. So if it costs them nothing, it doesn't matter to them.

This is why customers that take cars like this (tank cars, privately owned covered hoppers, etc.) sometimes use these cars for storage. It's actually cheaper than to unload them right away and have to store them.

Jay
  by The Tenth Legion

Greenlawn see any NYA service recently? I haven't ridden the train in a while, so I haven't been through there to see for myself.