• Trolley questions

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by train2

Where is Victory Depot (cross streets please) and what is its function?

I have also seen reference to one called Germantown. However I get the impression it was in an area that doesn't have street cars today????? IS it still active with buses?

And speaking of buses, does Septa still run any of those electrified buses, the trackless trolleys? If so what are the routes?
  by trollyFoamer

Scotty may be mixing up the whole 69th and Market St complex. Victory is the bus garage on the West side of Victory Ave, approximately 70th-71st Streets, just north of the P&W, or Norristown rt 100 line.

On the east side of Victory Ave is the Market Frankford El yard and shops, also home to the Media and Sharon Hill rt 101 102 yard and shops.
A bit further west of Victory Ave, on the P&W's south side are the P&W's 72nd St shops. In fact there's a small sign "P&W shops" at 72nd and West Chester Pike, which is what Market St becomes. If I remember correctly it's in Septa colors, but doesn't have a Septa emblem or name.

Yes, Germantown no longer has trolleys. It might even no longer have any buses, those routes may use Midvale garage, next to the railroad division's Roberts Ave yard, near Wayne Junction.

Speaking of Wayne Junction, that's the western terminal for one of the 3 'electrified bus' routes, 75 61 and 59. You can get their schedules and maps at http://www.septa.org/schedules/bus/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, notice Septa considers them bus routes. 75 and 59 both serve the Market Frankford El's Margaret-Orhtodox station, 61's at the Frankford station.

And http://www.septa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has link to http://septa.org/alert/general-alerts/t ... rsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, so you might get to ride your coveted diversion

Beginning Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10:00 p.m. until Monday, August 12, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Due to routine maintenance work, Routes 11, 13, 34 and 36 Trolleys will be diverted to 40th & Market Streets, starting at 10:00 p.m. on Friday and continuing until 12:01 a.m. Monday

During this time, Route 10 buses in place of trolleys will divert to 40th and Filbert Streets
  by ExCon90

I called Customer Service to determine whether they are actually taking the tunnel out of service for 9 straight days, as stated on their website (rather than just 2 consecutive weekends), and they are. It involves work in connection with the construction of Dilworth Plaza, and they're taking the opportunity to deal with other things at the same time. This is an unparalleled opportunity to actually plan to ride the diversion trackage, and on any day of the week at that. (Regular riders may not appreciate the opportunity they've been given.) Lots of photo opportunities, too.

On the subject of trackless trolleys, the line starting at Frankford Terminal is the 66, which has the unusual, and I think unique, feature of 4 sets of wires partway (I think as far as Cottman Ave.) to permit express and local service, although I don't see anything in the current schedule to indicate that they're still running expresses -- or for that matter whether all 4 sets of wires are still up.
  by Quinn

trollyFoamer wrote: On the east side of Victory Ave is the Market Frankford El yard and shops, also home to the Media and Sharon Hill rt 101 102 yard and shops.
A bit further west of Victory Ave, on the P&W's south side are the P&W's 72nd St shops. In fact there's a small sign "P&W shops" at 72nd and West Chester Pike, which is what Market St becomes. If I remember correctly it's in Septa colors, but doesn't have a Septa emblem or name.
Please note - if you're looking at this on an online map, or in person - there is no actual 71st/72nd here. It's the 7200 block of West Chester Pike, which begins at Merion Terrace. But, I think you're correct about the location of the sign, because if you drive up Merion Ter, to the right of the apartment building, that's where an entrance to the shop's parking is. I do not believe the sign is there anymore on WCP, although I remember it. :( (I used to live a few blocks away.)

When I was a wee lad, a family member that worked for Septa brought me back behind to the end of the Victory trolley loop. They still had a bunch of the older fleet. It was a great afternoon, exploring those cars.
  by sammy2009

What are they doing at 15th st on the trolley westbound platform anyway. ? I been meaning to ask. It's been blocked off forever
  by Matthew Mitchell

sammy2009 wrote:What are they doing at 15th st on the trolley westbound platform anyway?
Dilworth Plaza work up above.
  by sammy2009

Ugh i wish they hurry up. I really hate the fact that part of the station is blocked off where it looks like they have really done nothing except remove the glass and grass that was there .
  by Tritransit Area

Germantown is the brake shop for the SEPTA buses as well as a depot for the contractor operations for route 310 - Horsham Breeze, 312 - Cornwells Heights Parking Shuttle, and 316 - LUCY (Green & Gold). Until a few years (actually, I think more like 8 to 10 - my how the years blow by!) there were trolleys parked at Germantown in the back. One was in very bad shape and looked like an 8000 series "Peter Witt" car, and I think there was a PCC or 2 in there....perhaps for the Chestnut Hill Trolley Operation? I'm not sure if they are still there, but I don't think they are.

I should plan to ride the diversion routing this week. I haven't ridden any of the Southwest lines on diversion - only the 10. This would be a great opportunity for photos, especially on 38th Street!
  by walt

train2 wrote:Where is Victory Depot (cross streets please) and what is its function?
The Victory Ave facility was originally the Red Arrow bus storage and maintenance facility as well as serving as the P&W's 'car barn". During Red Arrow days, the trolleys were stored and maintained at the Llanerch facility ( WC Pike and Darby Road). Some bus maintenance was also done at Llanerch. When SEPTA took over the Red Arrow in 1970, the corporate successor to the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co ( Red Arrow)- the Bryn Mawr Group, retained ownership of the Llanerch property so SEPTA moved the trolleys and the MFSE shops into Victory Ave., which became the Victory Ave Depot. I believe what was once called SEPTA's Red Arrow Division is now called the Victory Ave division.
  by train2

OK guys I see the notice about the tunnel closing. Detail point: it appears by looking at the map that it might not be possible to ride the entire diversion with the 10 out of service during this current tunnel closure??? If I understand this correctly, all the routes from the south will take the diversion to the north up to 40th street area where they connect to the M-F line. I take it they turn at that point and return.

BUT to get the track north of 40th up to the 10 route it would require that line operating as trolleys and not buses? Correct?

Might wait till next time if that is the case? Comments?
  by trackwelder

correct, but you can ride the diversion any sunday night when reconstruction is done. but again, it rides through really crumby neighborhoods. i'd recomend against it.
  by lefty

jtaeffner wrote:
the 10 runs out of callowhill.
My Bad. Typing too fast.
  by lefty

Tritransit Area wrote:Germantown is the brake shop for the SEPTA buses as well as a depot for the contractor operations for route 310 - Horsham Breeze, 312 - Cornwells Heights Parking Shuttle, and 316 - LUCY (Green & Gold). Until a few years (actually, I think more like 8 to 10 - my how the years blow by!) there were trolleys parked at Germantown in the back. One was in very bad shape and looked like an 8000 series "Peter Witt" car, and I think there was a PCC or 2 in there....perhaps for the Chestnut Hill Trolley Operation? I'm not sure if they are still there, but I don't think they are.
7 years ago there were a few older trollies that were vandalized and burned up. If I recall, one was a PCC double ender and one was an older wood car. I have pictures somewhere, but they predate my digital camera so I don't know where the hard copies ended up. I believe they belonged to the trolley line that used to run on Delaware Avenue.
  by train2

Ok I will take the neighborhood comment to heart. What groups tend to run excursions on Septa trolleys? I can't say I have seen any mentioned lately.
Last edited by train2 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Quinn

train2 wrote:What groups tend to run excursions on Septa trolleys? I can say I have seen any mentioned lately.
Friends of Philadelphia Trolleys has had a few charters this year.