• CSX derailment

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by LRail

Did the CSX trash train that derailed originate from Long Island?
  by DogBert

Short answer: no. Long answer: part of it.

Trash cars are loaded in Bushwick and the Bronx. Bushwick / NY &A - the Bronx is obviously CSX. The cars get combined at oak point and brought north in a dedicated trash train.

No inbound CSX cars came in to oak point last night obviously, thus no run over hell gate this morning so far as I know. I didn't hear them coming back at their usual time this morning.

NY&A will be moving significantly fewer inbound cars over the next day or two or three, followed by a glut of them when the tracks reopen.

Outbounds will be loaded & collected either at fremont or oak point. I wonder how many extra empties the C&D customers like Coastal keep around just-in-case? I know they've got a cut of older cars down at blissville but for all I know they might be sitting there waiting for some repairs.
  by DaveBarraza

DogBert wrote: I know they've got a cut of older cars down at blissville but for all I know they might be sitting there waiting for some repairs.
I think those hoppers at Blissville are LI cars, for ballast.
  by Backshophoss

It would be nice to be able to reroute via the P+W routing,but believe it's not allowed by P+W's agreement with MNR.
Pond is going to smell real bad untill CSX is running again. :(
  by DogBert

DaveBarraza wrote:
DogBert wrote: I know they've got a cut of older cars down at blissville but for all I know they might be sitting there waiting for some repairs.
There are 2-3 cuts of Herzogs plus a cut of around 10-15 CDEX cars, which are in the middle and have been there since maybe two months before the herzog cars showed up.
  by DogBert

DogBert wrote:
DaveBarraza wrote:
There are 2-3 cuts of Herzogs plus a cut of around 10-15 CDEX cars, which are in the middle and have been there since maybe two months before the herzog cars showed up.

As for trains running again, I would imagine by tonight or tomorrow CSX will be moving cars up & down the hudson. MN really doesn't have a choice in the matter, especially now that so much NYC trash leaves via rail 6 days a week. City government will pressure the MTA. It was probably their rail that broke in the heat anyway.

I believe NY&A has many extra trash cars on hand, I saw a bunch parked down in East New York. Loaded cars will likely stay in the bush or go up to harlem river/oak point.

CSX ran with no inbound cars yesterday, and collected the usual outbound train.
  by Backshophoss

The WCBS stream reports,states 1 mainline will reopen for the morning rush.
Understand now the NTSB has taken over the investagation of the CSX derailment.
A detour via the Maybrook from Beacon is out due to severed rails at 2 bridges that were raised to improve
overhead clearance for 2 roads
  by AMK0123

A detour via the Maybrook from Beacon is out due to severed rails at 2 bridges that were raised to improve
overhead clearance for 2 roads
That will make for a nice dream for tonight....... I wonder if CSX has any extra qualified crews to run an extra during the day. Also, that evenings Q-701 and Q-431, were they held up somewhere up on the Hudson line. Just wondering if MTA opens at least one track by Monday will CSX have there B749 crew go from Croton, up to the outlawed trains and run them during the daylight down to Oak Point. I guess we'll wait and see. One things for sure, CSX and NYA will be very busy starting in the next few days. My only hope is that this incident doesn't hurt either railroad with its customers....
  by freightguy

The worst I've seen with cars not coming to Long Island was the CSX/NS takeover of Conrail. Sometimes the bad weather upstate would slow things down for a few weeks during the winter time. A week or so really isn't that bad just huge inbound trains particularly with the empty waste cars and nowhere to store them. Obviously P&W can bring in stone still and on the south end the trickle of cars from NS.
  by mikey cruz

Hey Backshop are they plannin to hook those 2 brisdges back up? (raise the grade)
  by Backshophoss

Have no idea,the route is held in reserve currently,as a fiber optic ROW for MNR,take a look at the Beacon thread in the
Metro-North forum.
  by DogBert

P&w left town as usual Friday night and won't have any issues.

During hurricane sandy cleanup, csx didn't run until the following Wednesday or Thursday.

I suspect if no MSW emptied could be brought in for a week, they would have to start floating them.

I read once that p&w's restriction is to move 35 cars of the same commodity, if that is the case a detoured trash train via p&w could happen - though again I think the Hudson line would have to be down for at least a week, exhausting the supply of empties and making it health issue ( there is no place to just leave that trash around NYC anymore). Csx's first inbound after the hurricane had 50 to 60 empty trash cars.

The trash adds a certain level of urgency to keeping thing running smoothly.
  by jayrmli

I'm not sure of the exact car count (I want to say 20), but P&W's agreement for non-aggregate business to Fresh Pond could happen if there were over that many cars in the consist.
  by Backshophoss

At this point,3 flat cars still need to be rerailed/removed,then track reconstruction.
It's reported that NTSB is checking container weights on the derailed train at Croton North yard.
Did NY+A put in a track scale anywhere? Not sure if LIRR had scale tracks.
  by DogBert

They are looking at everything, rail condition, train speed, the heat, etc.

WM loads on average 10-12 cars a day, 4 cubes each. 6 days a week, in the bush and Harlem river. The bush has been MSW since 2009, Harlem river longer. I would think if overloaded cubes was the issue something would have happened before now.

Didn't notice the usual LI run this morning. I would imagine maybe the interchange is going during mid day or really late at night. I haven't been around during the day lately.