• Train 870 - Long Beach Derailment 4/19

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Clemuel

Train 870 derailed in Long Beach last night after letting its people off and making a yard move. One truck derailed fouling the single track and knocking out the power on the whole branch.

All the right things seem to have been done and the cars were cut apart and put in the clear with only the derailed cars remaining. Service was restored in about an hour.

The wreck crew worked late into the night with the 125 Ton hirail crane to pick the car back onto the tracks.

No word on the cause yet but it doesn't look like any human error. Probably a combination of several things, as many derailments are.

Clem

by Long Island 7285

Clem,

Unfortunatly No camera, but I was in long beach last nite and seen a train come in with no roof mounted lights, the bulbs were blown, he pulled into the station then the crew got off the train.

was car 9680 (one with roof lights dead) have been on the train making the yard move. because he got into the yard and let the passenger off. I did see a train in the west end of the yard on the tunrouts. and I seen rescue equpt.
  by Clemuel

7285, the derailment was out in the throat of the yard and pictures would have been quite difficult. I don't have the car numbers. It is exciting watching the men work with the crane, picking up the end of the car and placing the wheels back on the track.

In the days before the Railroad bought the hi-rail crane, they proudly used a German-made sliding jack for re-railing operations. The jack was located on an I-beam that was placed across the tracks. After the end of the car was jacked in the air, hydrolics would slide the jack north or south on the I-beam. Jacks are still used for rerailing in tight areas, like tunnels.

"Replacers", or replacing frogs, were and still are used quite often. When the wheel is not too far from the rail these iron frogs are chained to the rail (like model railroad rerailers) and the car is dragged forward (usually with an engine) forcing the wheels up and onto the rail.

The wreck crew does interesting, and important work. Some of the Long Island's best experienced people make up the crew. A group of supervisors representing each of the operating departments investigates the incident to determine the cause. Back in the old days, these would be less than formal brawls with each department blaming the other quickly degenerating into shouting and name calling matches...

We don't do that any more.

-- yea, right.

by Long Island 7285

Thanks, Clem

I left the scene early I dident want to look suspicous watching a re railing operation even tho it woulda been cool.

I dident need cars with red flashing lights on them following me. and then have to explain why i was watchin this procedure.