• Interactive Mapping - Entire State of NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

That tingly feeling I get when I visit Hudson Shores must be the spirit of the Erie!! You can trace a lot of the Erie's ROW and bridges in the area, these maps are a real help!

-otto-

by Richard M. Utter

If you approve of the state interactive mapping application--and you have a high speed Internet connection--you should download NASA's free World Wind package. While the resolution of the photographs accessible via World Wind isn't especially high, they come from several sources, and there's worldwide coverage. You can display current USGS maps and orthophotos, too. There's also a selectable relief feature built in, so you can make hills and valleys stand out if you like. Here's one tip: select the Help/Key Chart menu item right away. That way, you won't spend nearly as much time as I did trying to figure out how to run the thing.

by sd80mac

Richard M. Utter wrote:If you approve of the state interactive mapping application--and you have a high speed Internet connection--you should download NASA's free World Wind package.
What is the website address??

tks

ken

by Richard M. Utter

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ should work, although I found it on download.net. When I started up the application just now to find the NASA website link, I noticed that its splash screen status line stated that the applcation was "initializing Earth". Wow. . .