• Interactive Mapping - Entire State of NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by J.D. White

http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm

This link will allow you to choose your spot, using the cursor to center your target viewing area. At the bottom where it says "Miles Across Map", if you type in a number at 1.0 or lower (0.9, 0.8, etc), you will get photos. According to my sources, every square mile of New York is in this data base and the photos were taken in the year 2001. Enjoy following the rails :-)

by scottychaos

thanks JAmes!
we discoved that site a few months ago..its sweet!
I discovered another handy trick..
click on the "zoom in" button, go to the map, press and HOLD the left mouse button, then you can drag a square of any size!
the map then opens to your square..
a very quick way to zoom in on a small specific area..
Scot

by SimTrains

Anyone else here use Firefox, and find that this site doesn't work with it? Just wondering, cus I have to use Internet Explorer with the site.

by dj_paige

Doesn't work with Firefox :(

by zablocki22

That is simply amazing. I was able to actually trace where the Erie's Northern Branch crossed the West Shore (Riverline) in Orangeburg, NY and then eventually connected with what is todays Pascack Valley Line of New Jersey Transit just behind the shopping mall in Nyack.
The funny thing is the hobby shop I go to in Blauvelt, NY is where the track used to be.

WOW!

Vincent

by Mike Roque

zablocki22 wrote:The funny thing is the hobby shop I go to in Blauvelt, NY is where the track used to be.
Good ol' Hudson Shores!

by zablocki22

I'll have to ask Mr.Bobby and Mrs. Donna if they knew about that???

Vincent
  by Matt Langworthy

That map is proof that the boy doesn't really grow up; the toys just get a bit more sophisticated. :-D And this comes from someone who spent just a few minutes playing with it!

by O-6-O

These maps are awsome. Makes me really want to railfan from the air.
(sst) are you listening? The detail is fantastic. Now for a dose of reality.
If I have this right, O-6-O taking pictures trackside is a threat, but the
great empire state uploading a detailed map of EVERYTHING is OK.
What part of common sense don't I get.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
  by Trains

Has anyone noticed that the image quality over some railyards, airports, and other government facilities (the Brookhaven National Lab, for example), is much lower?

by stilson4283

It is only area's that are near airports or other "Sensitive" sites.

National Security

Chris

by ANDY117

Yes, i'm trying to zoom in on 224.2,and it's not good quality. NO signals are!
  by Trains

I think that it is ridiculous to blur out areas like that. I can still make out the buildings. Also if someone was looking for sensitive areas they would have to simply look for the blurry parts. Sounds like some pointy haired boss idea to me.
  by Matt Langworthy

Trains, the pointy-hair boss probably put Wally or Asok on that project to keep the terrorists from Elbonia from figuring out what to hit... NOT!!!
  by Trains

Matt Langworthy wrote:Trains, the pointy-hair boss probably put Wally or Asok on that project to keep the terrorists from Elbonia from figuring out what to hit... NOT!!!
So what are you trying to say? All I am saying is blurring out all these places in the name of national security is a waste of time and effort, as you can still make out the buildings and the fact that it is blurred out may signal some sort of significance to a certain area. I can think of 100 different ways a person could get information about these places to be used in a malicious manner. It doesn't affect my life so much but I think some people would look at this as an act of censorship. The reason I said the thing about the pointy haired boss was this whole idea seems to have come from some person in a management position who needs to justify his job.