Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

A small update on 8400s on BNSF/HC/SWS:

8447, 8448, 8450, and 8458 were all on BNSF trains today.

8448 has two of its chimes removed. As for 8447, 8450, and 8458, I couldn't tell if two chimes were removed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Like MILW and RI, some BN trains have two cab control cars as the rear two cars.

When connected to a 700 series car, the 8400s appear to be slightly taller.

by MetraF40C607

All of the cars are of different heights depending on how high they are on the truck bolsters.
  by MetraBNSF

8578 has gone to UP. It was right behind #130 on a northwest line train into downtown this morning. 8500s are now up to 8586.

Since I cannot find the "Ex-CB&Q Bilevels to be retired" thread, I might as well put this here. Yesterday, Metra #6 pulled four ex-CNW Pullmans and one cab car west from Western Ave.
Last edited by MetraBNSF on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by F40CFan

MetraBNSF wrote:Yesterday, Metra #6 pulled four ex-CNW Pullmans and one cab car west from Western Ave.
This morning there was a line of Pullmans at Bensenville yard. I couldn't see any details because they were obscured by freight cars.
  by metraRI

MikeF wrote:That brings up a question ... what happened to all the old threads? There used to be two or three pages worth of threads in this forum; now there's only one. Did our moderator delete them? And if he did, why? Image
A heck of a lot of old threads were deleted for no reason. I Had over 200 posts, now its down to 93. The only people that can delete threads are the mods of the Metra forum, and admins of railroad.net. Considering that MBTA has 11 pages worth of threads, it was probably a mod from this forum that did some deleting. It would be nice if we get a reason why.
  by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:
MikeF wrote:That brings up a question ... what happened to all the old threads? There used to be two or three pages worth of threads in this forum; now there's only one. Did our moderator delete them? And if he did, why? Image
A heck of a lot of old threads were deleted for no reason. I Had over 200 posts, now its down to 93. The only people that can delete threads are the mods of the Metra forum, and admins of railroad.net. Considering that MBTA has 11 pages worth of threads, it was probably a mod from this forum that did some deleting. It would be nice if we get a reason why.
Kyle,
I believe it was autmoatic prunning.
  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:I believe it was autmoatic prunning.
I doubt it; it hasn't occurred in other groups that have more threads than this one. It appears to have been done by our moderator, and it's not appreciated. There's a lot of discussion and useful information gone permanently, for what reason?
  by byte

MikeF wrote:There's a lot of discussion and useful information gone permanently, for what reason?
Exactly, there was no good reason for deleting them. Old threads like that take up a miniscule amount of space on the server and removing them would be stupid, because of all the info they had.
  by AmtrakFan

byte wrote:
MikeF wrote:There's a lot of discussion and useful information gone permanently, for what reason?
Exactly, there was no good reason for deleting them. Old threads like that take up a miniscule amount of space on the server and removing them would be stupid, because of all the info they had.
I am angry our Mod took them off I learned a lot from Several of those.