• Newark Penn Station: why such long and unused platforms?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

Jtgshu wrote:yes, track 1 and 2 are the longest in the station, and continue a few hundred feet past the CNJ bridge - track A stops short of the station canapy, just east of the Edison Pl bridge IIRC, track 3/4 platform just short of the CNJ bridge, track 5 at the end of the canapy.

Ive been on trains that have unloaded at the far west end of the platforms on track 1/2 because of service suspensions, etc where trains were being held at Newark Penn for an unknown period. Depending on the length of the trains of course, you can get 3 trains, with the 3rd train just getting a few doors on, on those 2 tracks. Quite helpful if you are a passenger on those trains and able to get off and catch a PATH train and continue your journey. Not helpful if you are on the 4th train just outside the station :(

Of course, this was with permission from Dock and/or supervision in Newark Penn to unload our passengers on the far west end, because the platforms are in such bad shape. But its better than walking in ballast!
I recall being in the sleeper returning from Miami roughly around 1980, at the rear of the very long train. Quite a few double stops along the way. Definitely got off near the far end of the extended platform on Track 2 so a double stop was not needed at Newark. It was still in good condition then.
  by peconicstation

As well noted, Newark Penn was built at a time when long distance trains still ruled the inter-city travel market, and through the early Amtrak years those
long platforms allowed trains to make single stop.

The extreme western ends of tracks 1 and 2 are the only ones that I can think of today that look "derelict", and there is also a "derelict" platform at the west end of track 5, that at one time served as a public delivery track.

However those long platforms still serve a purpose, or in some cases served a purpose in the post-Aldene plan operations of the CNJ and Reading.

When the CNJ moved into Newark Penn, and track 5 was it's primary departure track it was standard practice during PM rush hours to have 2 trains stage on the track, an easy thing to do
with long platforms.

The (2) Reading Co., rush hour trains, the Wall Street and Crusader, would usually board on the far west section of track 4 (the announcer would call out the location based on which
locator sign the train was near). This allowed an NEC commuter train to run into Newark Penn, pull up behind the Reading Train and board/deboard it's passengers, and leave a few minutes after the Reading train departed.

In the pre-911 worldthe long platforms were great for rail fans taking pictures without a permit.

Ken
  by Ken W2KB

Launcher wrote:Where is the Hogwarts platform located
There is an invisible door off of Platform H, the platform used by incoming PATH trains. That's why it's designated Platform H.
  by kilroy

Steve F45 wrote:did they ever finish that one platforms construction to connect or somewhat connect to the rock?
What's the point? The NHL is on strike and once they come back, the Devils may not be long for Newark.

No pro hockey or basketball just leaves you college basketball, concerts and dog shows. Hey they could call it the Izod II (but I like The Swamp West better).
  by M&Eman

kilroy wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:did they ever finish that one platforms construction to connect or somewhat connect to the rock?
What's the point? The NHL is on strike and once they come back, the Devils may not be long for Newark.

No pro hockey or basketball just leaves you college basketball, concerts and dog shows. Hey they could call it the Izod II (but I like The Swamp West better).
The Devils are staying put in Newark. They still make money most years. Their problem is outstanding debt from the construction of the arena, something that would be made worse if they moved to another city and another new arena (and associated debt)
  by kilroy

M&Eman wrote:
kilroy wrote:

The Devils are staying put in Newark. They still make money most years. Their problem is outstanding debt from the construction of the arena, something that would be made worse if they moved to another city and another new arena (and associated debt)
Red ink is red ink, regardless of what part of the operation creates it. As for building a new areana, Kansas City has one ready and waiting. They could become the Kansas City Scouts again. I wonder if any team has ever gone back to being who they were originally (ex the Raiders who didn't change their name or ownership, just where they played)?
  by M&Eman

kilroy wrote:
M&Eman wrote:
kilroy wrote:

Red ink is red ink, regardless of what part of the operation creates it. As for building a new areana, Kansas City has one ready and waiting. They could become the Kansas City Scouts again. I wonder if any team has ever gone back to being who they were originally (ex the Raiders who didn't change their name or ownership, just where they played)?
A move does not absolve them from their debt though. You are assuming whoever purchases the Devs from Vanderbeek will have intentions to move the team out of Newark. This is getting OT though so I'll get back to Newark Penn Station. The passageway to the Rock is not really needed, for bad weather one can use the Gateway Center and in good weather folks should take a walk and see Newark for themselves!
  by 25Hz

One could also put a people mover on the old CNJ row from the bridge to the old station headhouse on broad st. ;)
  by Fan Railer

I would guess the reason that the sections of platform on the southern end are not in use is for the sake of money saving. It would cost more to maintain that extra length of platform if the demand was not there for it's use. In addition, one of the PDF track maps that is circulating somewhere online states that they are 18 cars long.
  by kilroy

25Hz wrote:One could also put a people mover on the old CNJ row from the bridge to the old station headhouse on broad st. ;)
Why go past the Rock so you can walk back to it? And how are you planning to get through the parking deck to get to the station?
  by boomerjdpeters

as information, Trenton going back in time sometimes required two stops on Florida trains. Especially eastbound as they were not going to tell the passengers to walk forward. All this was done before radios.
  by Passaic River Rat

Ken W2KB wrote:
Launcher wrote:Where is the Hogwarts platform located
There is an invisible door off of Platform H, the platform used by incoming PATH trains. That's why it's designated Platform H.
I don't think you are correct about this. I keep running into this brick wall head-first and I just bounce off. Should I keep trying?
  by Patrick Boylan

That's what I do with soda bottle contests when I look under the cap and see 'sorry try again'. I screw the cap back on, unscrew it and check again, but it says the same thing every time.
  by Tadman

Pat, you're reading them upside-down. Try unscrewing the cap with the bottle facing down first. That way the inside of the cap will be right-side-up when you read it, plus it's more ergonomic.