• Newark Penn Station: why such long and unused platforms?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nyswfan

25Hz wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
25Hz wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
25Hz wrote:
kilroy wrote:
25Hz wrote:One could also put a people mover on the old CNJ row from the bridge to the old station headhouse on broad st. ;)
Why go past the Rock so you can walk back to it? And how are you planning to get through the parking deck to get to the station?
Go around the rock in a loop, the old headhouse would serve broad st, you could have a stop on either side of the rock for people going different directions..... build elevator and escalator at the old bridge to connect it to newark penn trak A, 1, and 2, and boom! :D
No.
Care to elaborate, or are just trolling? I think it'd be useful to re-purpose this old infrastructure.
The headhouse was demolished several years ago as part of the arena project, all that remains is the facade on Broad Street with a short, maybe 80 feet long or so, hallway east from the facade doors. East after that as mentioned is the new parking garage which would preclude the people mover (and pedestrians) from accessing the hallway, absent some costly modifications. That said, the plan from years ago to construct a covered walkway to the Mulberry Street front of the arena with access to the Penn Station platforms would be beneficial I think providing a direct route with complete shelter from precipitation. Though I recall well some decades back when the new office buildings were proposed for downtown, skywalks (like that built to Gateway in 1972) were part of the plans for the new buildings, but eliminated as "elitist" (or even "racist") as the commuters and visitors to the new buildings would thereby be segregated from the Newark population at large. The Legal Center did get its skywalk, but that was largely due to it being developed by the Port Authority and being essentially adjacent to Penn Station so the street walk was so short that no local business were passed and Raymond Boulevard at that location is complex with bus and car traffic thus being especially hazardous to pedestrians. PSEG and the building Seton Hall law is in did not get the proposed skywalks extended to them because of the aforementioned objections.
I'm guessing no one is realizing that i'm talking about a LOOP that stops at the headhouse location on broad street, with one stop on lafayette and one stop on market or edison before returning to newark penn. The other option would be to utilize hamilton as the neck, and loop around via mulberry, lafayette, broad, and market....

You could use existing 416 bus type, some kind of self-guided low floor street tram, trackless trolley, or even a small airport style hopper.

Anyways, it was just an idea.
If you feel compelled to use mass transit from Penn Station to the Pru center/Broad St, just request a xfer and board a #1 bus in the market st lanes and have the driver let you out at either Mulberry or Broad. Why do we need to build a seperate system apart from the one that already exists?