• Boston - Portland - Bangor, Express Passenger Service

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Highball

Rockingham Racer wrote:
I'd respond that train travel in general was hit significantly by the development of the interstate highway system around 1960, and people could move about more quickly and efficiently by private car, especially on relatively short trips such as Boston to Bangor. I also surmise that since there are no big population centers in Maine beyond Bangor was the reason that it was the terminal for MEC trains, although BAR had passenger service going further up in to Maine.
There was passenger service between Boston and Halifax N.S., known as The Gull, that ran over 4 railroads until September 06th 1960..........B & M Boston to Portland, MEC Portland via Bangor to Vanceboro, ME. ( at the Canadian border ), Canadian Pacific to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canadian National to Halifax.

Also, MEC had passenger service over the 133 mile Bangor - Calais Me. branch, ending in 1956.
  by 3rdrail

Thanks everybody ! Go, I had a hunch that Bangor's influence didn't go beyond the Maine border. You've put it in perspective nicely. :-) (Without any malice intentioned, I always have to chuckle at these airports that call themselves "International" like apparently Bangor does and Portland. And indeed they are. You can actually take a flight ouside the country...to Canada, less than 100 miles away ! :-))
I wonder how many Mainerds, wine glasses in hand, have shown up at the Bangor "International" Airport to go to Paris ? hahaha (Just a chuckle Maine people, I joke about my own state too ! God knows there's enough material !) :-)
  by gokeefe

3rdrail,

You are most certainly right that when it comes to passengers BIA does not operate any significant number of common carrier international flights. On the other hand if you are talking about charter passenger flights and all manner of cargo flights then that is another matter entirely. BIA is very much an "international" terminal in that sense and probably a very significant one nationally at that, it just so happens that the general public can't book tickets on most of the passenger flights into and out of BIA. At least in my mind that by no means diminishes the significance of what happens there.
  by MEC407

Anyone who has the opportunity should watch the documentary "The Way We Get By." It's about a group of retired folks who greet our military men and women when they arrive (often in huge numbers) at the Bangor airport.

http://www.thewaywegetbymovie.com/
  by eastwind

MEC407 wrote:Anyone who has the opportunity should watch the documentary "The Way We Get By." It's about a group of retired folks who greet our military men and women when they arrive (often in huge numbers) at the Bangor airport.

http://www.thewaywegetbymovie.com/
I could only watch the trailer on the website you linked to, MEC, but I get it.
Another reason Bangor is not to be considered insignificant.
Thanks for the link.

--eastwind