Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by 25Hz

Why is there a seemingly unused bridge east of track 1 over south street? Where did it lead?
  by Ken S.

25Hz wrote:Why is there a seemingly unused bridge east of track 1 over south street? Where did it lead?
More Information Required.
  by Don31

Yep, its the site of the former PRR South Street Yard.
  by 25Hz

What was the yard used for?
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:What was the yard used for?
If i had to guess, I'd say just local deliveries. The larger Poiner Street Yard handled mostly produce and lumber (I think).
  by 25Hz

Crazy how many yards and sidings used to exist off the NEC.
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:Crazy how many yards and sidings used to exist off the NEC.
Yep. There was South Street, Poiner Street ,Waverly, Elizabeth, Stiles Street, and this is just what I can recall of the top of my head (always a dicey situation). I know there are lots more to the west (Metuchen, Jersey Avenue, Adams, Barracks)
  by cobra30689

Yup. South Street was a station at one time. Don't know when it closed though.....
  by faxman

You also had a station at South Elizabeth and North Rahway
  by Don31

CJPat wrote:
The EGE wrote:He appears to mean South Street in Newark: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=South+St ... y&t=h&z=19

The answer is there was once a small yard there. Lasted into the 50s: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials. ... &year=1954
In the Historic Aerials phot, are those passenger platforms at South St?
Yes, the PRR had a station there
  by CJPat

I make that out as a little under a 1/2 mile to Newark-Penn. With all the trolleys that Newark had, I am surprised they built a station so close to their main station.

Thanks for the answer, guys.
  by 25Hz

South street was a legacy station from before the 1930's nwk structure was built. Back then the focus was the nearby new york terminal at exchange place.
  by rollotomasi

So the bridge is still hanging there, for what reason? I imagine it must require some periodic inspection & maintenance so it doesn't collapse on a Coast Line local one day. Has there ever been plans to dismantle it?