Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1089408  by 25Hz

Why is there a seemingly unused bridge east of track 1 over south street? Where did it lead?
 #1089414  by Ken S.

25Hz wrote:Why is there a seemingly unused bridge east of track 1 over south street? Where did it lead?
More Information Required.
 #1089580  by Don31

Yep, its the site of the former PRR South Street Yard.
 #1089595  by Don31

25Hz wrote:What was the yard used for?
If i had to guess, I'd say just local deliveries. The larger Poiner Street Yard handled mostly produce and lumber (I think).
 #1089600  by 25Hz

Crazy how many yards and sidings used to exist off the NEC.
 #1089640  by Don31

25Hz wrote:Crazy how many yards and sidings used to exist off the NEC.
Yep. There was South Street, Poiner Street ,Waverly, Elizabeth, Stiles Street, and this is just what I can recall of the top of my head (always a dicey situation). I know there are lots more to the west (Metuchen, Jersey Avenue, Adams, Barracks)
 #1090247  by Don31

CJPat wrote:
The EGE wrote:He appears to mean South Street in Newark: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=South+St ... y&t=h&z=19

The answer is there was once a small yard there. Lasted into the 50s: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials. ... &year=1954
In the Historic Aerials phot, are those passenger platforms at South St?
Yes, the PRR had a station there
 #1090573  by CJPat

I make that out as a little under a 1/2 mile to Newark-Penn. With all the trolleys that Newark had, I am surprised they built a station so close to their main station.

Thanks for the answer, guys.
 #1090709  by 25Hz

South street was a legacy station from before the 1930's nwk structure was built. Back then the focus was the nearby new york terminal at exchange place.
 #1090809  by rollotomasi

So the bridge is still hanging there, for what reason? I imagine it must require some periodic inspection & maintenance so it doesn't collapse on a Coast Line local one day. Has there ever been plans to dismantle it?