• Rigby Yard setup?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by deeptrax

Just a question, how is Rigby organized? In other words, where do trains normally come in (I heard track 4 on the scanner once for a WBD), go out, get humped, etc. Is there generally one side for EBD departures/arrivals and another for WBD? Or is it set up in some other way? Tracks 1 and 2 seem the longest so I'm guessing they're used for arrivals. Just wondering
  by newpylong

There is no hump yard in Rigby - it's all flat switching.
  by deeptrax

newpylong wrote:There is no hump yard in Rigby - it's all flat switching.
Ah. So where's flat switching normally done?
  by jbvb

Historically, the yard has been double-ended, with westbound traffic (to the B&M) on the west side, and eastbound (to the MEC) on the east side. PT switchers were more often seen working the east end, using the double track under US 1 as a switching lead in between MEC arrivals and departures. The engine terminal, RIP track and caboose tracks were also at the E. end, as was the tower. I have wondered why there wasn't better provision for switching, but perhaps they didn't want to put it at the W end because ownership changed to B&M at the west throat (PT Tower 1).

Note that I did most of my Rigby railfanning before Guilford.
  by deeptrax

Yeah, I tend to notice quite a bit of switching done even as far up as the 295 exit overpass, near where all the OMYA tankers normally sit. Are tracks 1, 2, and 4 (the longest ones) most often used for arrivals, since it's sort of impractical for arrivals to double over?
  by pnolette

As it is right now for arrivals and departures they use tracks 4,6,8,10, in the West Yard,1 and 2 runner,and 29,31,33,35,37 in the East yard.39 on are used for switching.Now this can change anytime.I've seen them switching in the West Yard and use the East yard R & D tracks for switching.So depends how much room the yardmaster has.