Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard setup?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1083542  by deeptrax

Just a question, how is Rigby organized? In other words, where do trains normally come in (I heard track 4 on the scanner once for a WBD), go out, get humped, etc. Is there generally one side for EBD departures/arrivals and another for WBD? Or is it set up in some other way? Tracks 1 and 2 seem the longest so I'm guessing they're used for arrivals. Just wondering
 #1083739  by deeptrax

newpylong wrote:There is no hump yard in Rigby - it's all flat switching.
Ah. So where's flat switching normally done?
 #1083766  by jbvb

Historically, the yard has been double-ended, with westbound traffic (to the B&M) on the west side, and eastbound (to the MEC) on the east side. PT switchers were more often seen working the east end, using the double track under US 1 as a switching lead in between MEC arrivals and departures. The engine terminal, RIP track and caboose tracks were also at the E. end, as was the tower. I have wondered why there wasn't better provision for switching, but perhaps they didn't want to put it at the W end because ownership changed to B&M at the west throat (PT Tower 1).

Note that I did most of my Rigby railfanning before Guilford.
 #1083838  by deeptrax

Yeah, I tend to notice quite a bit of switching done even as far up as the 295 exit overpass, near where all the OMYA tankers normally sit. Are tracks 1, 2, and 4 (the longest ones) most often used for arrivals, since it's sort of impractical for arrivals to double over?
 #1084032  by pnolette

As it is right now for arrivals and departures they use tracks 4,6,8,10, in the West Yard,1 and 2 runner,and 29,31,33,35,37 in the East yard.39 on are used for switching.Now this can change anytime.I've seen them switching in the West Yard and use the East yard R & D tracks for switching.So depends how much room the yardmaster has.