• Rebuilding A forgotten GP9

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by deandremouse

Well im about to rebuild this locomotive from leftover parts from another engine and a scrapped project,

This was a Walthers G9 I bought in 2008 or before from a clearance sale on internettrains. Technically It was my first real locomotive, as a transition from the Life Like trains stuff.
Anyways my intention a few months after I bought it was to rebuild it to an Agence Metropolitaine de Transport GP9U. I had started removing stuff for the project and was working on the cab but I had stopped as I was moving. I packed the stuff away in its box with intentions to continue. I never did continue, instead it wasted away in my closet Well I found it today and had nearly forgot about this locomotive completely.

Currently this is what it looks like

I do not know what I did to this engine lol but its in some serious condition of restoration lol.

I want to install ditch, Rotary beacon and directional lighting as well as a Tsunami 567 decoder.

In your opinion what should I do to the cab given its current position.
  by deandremouse

Rebuild in Progress...

Using a scavenged part of a GP cab.

Im not sure what designation im giving this engine yet, GP9mr, Gp17 or GP10
  by deandremouse

Hmm I see a few things I need to fix in the paint shop
  by deandremouse

Coming closer, now with white stripe.
  by Backshophoss

If your local Hobby Shop can get it , use BMLA's RV style A/C units for the cab(Walter's # 176-4552).
would be easier to use then the Details West a/c parts due to the roof radius(curve)
The RV style a/c's are used by locomotive rebuilders.
  by deandremouse

Backshophoss wrote:If your local Hobby Shop can get it , use BMLA's RV style A/C units for the cab(Walter's # 176-4552).
would be easier to use then the Details West a/c parts due to the roof radius(curve)
The RV style a/c's are used by locomotive rebuilders.
Yeah I should probably use that, the AC wont sit on a Curve.

Also I addded reflective tape to sides.

by Backshophoss

That makes the FRA happy,at least drivers can't claim"I didn't see the train" when street running.
Should be fun switching Hunt's Point Market with that engine.
  by rscott417

Was South Bronx Terminal a railroad before CSX? I know theres 2 CSX Gensets that service the yard and industries now.
  by deandremouse

rscott417 wrote:Was South Bronx Terminal a railroad before CSX? I know theres 2 CSX Gensets that service the yard and industries now.
Well this a freelance idea I had,

But I believe there actually was a South Bronx railroad line operated from Oak point
  by Backshophoss

I belive the "Oak Point Connector" replaced the NYC's Port Morris Branch to allow "better" service to Hunts Point Terminal Market,
back when ConRail still existed.
  by deandremouse

Got the A/C unit, It looks pretty good! I also have a beacon