• Freight car truck assemblies

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by tspco

I know this topic could be in any forum here, but since I live a mile from a UPRR, mainline, and 35 miles from Bailey Yards, I chose to post my inquiry here.
I started modeling some railroad stuff in Google SketchUp. I have a couple of cabooses, and a old style depot with semaphore. Actually looks real good, well to me anyway.
To the point of my inquiry, my cabooses have trucks that were based on a generic truck, after looking around the on several occasions I cannot find a good detailed drawing of a truck, so I can draw it correctly. To me looking at train cars nearby it seems the wheels just sit under the trucks, with no real device holding them in palce except gravity, correct?
Does anyone here have a source for more info on railcar trucks?, or railcars in general?
I know how important being accurate is to railfans, and rail modelers. I want to do it right or at least 94% right.
  by Jeff Smith

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to cross post this in Toy Trains and Modeling. Mostly, the named forums concern actual operations, but it doesn't hurt to ask there either.

Again, welcome!