• Helpers on the GRS

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Stephen

There is a picture posted on the NERail site that mentions a helper unit being used on GRS freight WAED in the West Fitchburg area. Is this a common occurance for GRS in this area?

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 027938.jpg

Are there other areas on the Freight Main where they frequently use helpers/pushers?
Do they have any helper sets that are always on duty?
Thanks,
Stephen
  by GP40MC1118

I don't think GRS has any regularly called helpers. I know they shove
eastbounds from E.Deerfield at times, but its more of a slog it out scenario.

Back in the late B&M, early GTI days, we called helpers between
E.Deerfield and East Fitchburg. Less often, helpers for the Hoosac Tunnel area.

D

by Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

by johnpbarlow

I didn't encounter B&M often enough to tell you this was common place but in 1983 I recall seeing an eb freight drop one of its four units at Ayer before continuing eastward. Of course, it may have been dropping off a unit to be used as a local switcher.

More recently, February '04, a WARJ stalled at the 50-50 Diner on its way west out of Fitchburg and had to be rescued with a push from a trio of GP40s. But this was an exceptional situation. Same thing sometimes happens on CSX and CP.
  by eddiebear

Back in my B & M days, all heavy eastbounds rated a pusher from East Deerfield to East Gardner, then the pusher would drop off and run light back to East Deerfield. If there was a short term traffic boom, there'd be several during a single day. I also saw westbound pushers out of Ayer to the top of the grade at East Gardner, but this was fairly rare as most westbounds had lots of empties. There is far less traffic moving west of Ayer now, so if an eastbound has to grind up hill to East Gardner, it probably won't hold up anything behind it.
Maine Central has somewhat of a grade out of Portland and the last stall in the 3rd floor john at St. John St. HQ building in Portland had a great view of the PT-MEC main. I caught a pusher on a Bangor bound freight one day. The crest of the grade must not be too far away, because the pusher came back light quite soon to begin other business while I hadn't finished my business.

by NellsChoo

With Guilford, there's always a chance a helper was sent if one of the lead engines broke down :wink:

by Stephen

Thanks eddiebear. Those must have been interesting times.

Good point NellsChoo...

-Stephen
  by wolfmom69

Rarely,but sometimes,a heavy GRS freight eastbound out of Rigby,will need a shove up the long grade from Rigby,at sea level,as far as Deering Jct. or CPF 194 (Allen Ave.). Usually this is due to wheel slip,or a unit "acting up". They will cut off on the fly,and the "helper" return light to Rigby. 50 years ago,I would have my mom hold supper,so I could catch BR-1, around 5:30 PM.usually with 3-5 F-7s and GP-7s and over 100 cars,as it worked upgrade here in Woodfrord's section of Portland where we resided. Could hear those 567s working in 8th notch for a mile away! Maine Central road freights were nearly always on time,with double track and a busy passenger schedule. Speed was 20-25 mph,even with these 1500 hp units,as cars were smaller! Bud