Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by njtmnrrbuff

Tommorow, I am planning a railfan trip on the Upper Harlem. I wouls like to know if the stuttle will be running with a cab unit on it? Is there any way that someone could find out please?

by njtmnrrbuff

Actually, I might go Saturday or Sun because the weather might not be so good for tommoow.

by DutchRailnut

Saturday there will be buses on upper Harlem due to treework.
Power is currently a Genesis in Conndot color either 230 or 231.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Today, I made my trip on the Upper Harlem. From Mercy College, I took the #6 bus which has very lopsided service on Sunday. In fact, I had to stand most of the way. I got the 12:19 train. The electric trains that I had both ways were made up of older MUs. When I got to Southeast, I look at the shuttle, I notice something is weird, but it was a logical thing to do. Many people use the train to get to rural areas within easy reach from the city. Anyway, the shuttle to Wassaic consisted of six center door shoreliner IVs in MTA livery and a Genesis in the MTA livery as well. Time is really running out for the cab units. In fact, I saw like two cab units in NWP, the NY Central and a CDOT, I believe on a work train. The fall foliage on the Upper Harlem line was very nice. I get off at Dover Plains, not much there, but a few eateries, and a supermarket. I got plenty of shots here. Coming back, the train was crowded. On the electric train to WP, which was crowded, I saw a lot of costumes. After I got off here, I made a mad dash to get the #6 back. Very nice trip.

by Otto Vondrak

Even the oldest Bombardier coaches are only twenty years old. As far as the "older MU's" the only ones you could have ridden would be M-1's and M-3's... still only 30 years old (M-1's) and 20 years old (M-3's). I guess they may seem older than they look, but they are actually fairly new.
When I got to Southeast, I look at the shuttle, I notice something is weird, but it was a logical thing to do. Many people use the train to get to rural areas within easy reach from the city
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here... people take the train to get to places that are already easy to get to? How do you think this came about? They are "easy to get to" because of the train! I hope you're not one of those city folk that think going to Yonkers or White Plains is going "upstate" to the "country."

-otto-
  by mncommuter

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Time is really running out for the cab units. In fact, I saw like two cab units in NWP, the NY Central and a CDOT, I believe on a work train.

Are you confusing the term "cab unit" with "locomotive" or "engine"?

by DutchRailnut

a cab unit is slang for FL-9's, the term came from when railroads ran ABA consist of F units were A units were also called Cabunits. the term never was used in east, mainly in west.

by mncommuter

Oh, I thought "cab unit" was the same as "cab car" (the opposite end from the locomotive)

by Lackawanna484

Wassaic gets a decent Sunday afternoon traffic as people leave their weekend country homes, drop their cars in the lot, and take the train to their city apartments.

On my last visit there, many of the cars had MA plates, and a few even had VT plates. Car insurance is probably cheaper in VT than on 72nd street, I'd guess.
  by Tom Curtin

Yes, for someone who lives and works in "the city," to simply leave your car during the week at one of those stations up the line, such as Wassaic, is not an uncommon practice. Parking on west 72nd Street runs you something like $450 per month, and yes, the insurance premiums for a gar "garaged" in Manhattan must be, well --- "up there." The practice works fine ---- until you get a blizzard and have to dig your car out when you arrive at Wassaic (or wherever) on Friday evening, which I'm sure is also a common practice!

Another, and somewhat related, practice, is that of the "reverse commuter" who lives in Manhattan and works in Westchester, or Fairfield County and leaves his/her car at Tarrytown, or North White, or Stamford, or wherever, overnight.