• Portland's Union Branch survives?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by markhb

Portland's former Union Branch, which runs behind Hadlock Field and between I-295 and Deering Oaks (after which most of the tracks have been removed) apparently still exists in some form long after trains ceased to run on it. From the article Proposed $2.3M Bayside land sale clears hurdle in The Portland Daily Sun:
To be sure, much of the deal still must be worked out. Deed restrictions enacted around the old railroad that runs through the site might require the city to carry liability insurance costing between $10,000 and $30,000 per year. At issue are deed restrictions that prevent the construction of housing within a certain distance from the railroad right of way.

City attorney Gary Wood said that matter is still under negotiation with Guilford Northern, the former rail operator, which has tentatively agreed to drop the restrictions if the city carries a certain insurance.
First: "Guilford Northern"?

Second, it turns out the arrangements around this land are particularly tangled. If one goes to the Cumberland County website and goes deed searching, the two relevant ones would appear to be Book 19057, Page 107 ff., from the State to the city, and Book 16707 Page 206 ff., from Portland Terminal to the State with a restriction, among others, that the only railroading allowed would be passenger transit. Not to mention that the deed from PTC references the original recordings of the deeds from various individuals to the Portland and Rochester Railroad in 1881!
  by BM6569

Interesting. I believe the ROW is intact up to Forest Ave. After that, it is now a paved trail.
  by markhb

Right; the tracks exist all the way to Forest Ave. East of Forest they still exist except for the former grade crossings as far as Elm St. Elm St. east to the area near the sewage treatment plant is now the trail, but the trail maintains the rail ROW. It's in this area near the trail and the former rail yard that PAR still wants them to carry particular insurance; whether that's related to the rail yard being potentially full of who-knows-what or in case trains come back some day, I don't know.
  by BM6569

It's hard to believe that line once connected to the tracks by back cove. I snapped some pics at Forest Ave last year just before the Forest Ave crossing was removed. Then the trail was built east of that. I remember that there walk talk of using the Union Branch and a new bridge over back cove to get to Brunswick but the cost was something like $11 million. I don't see any possible use of this line in the future except maybe to connect to USM. It would be cool to have a Portland-Gorham USM shuttle by rail. LOL. Wonder if it would be quicker than by bus.

Has the rail yard been removed?
  by markhb

I'm not positive, but in looking at Google Maps, it doesn't appear that anything survives in the rail yard space but some tracks immediately adjacent to Somerset St. (which themselves can be traced back, minus the grade crossings, to Forest Ave.). I'm trying to remember if Haverty Buick was actually in the rail yard space at one time; I remember their building being set well back from Marginal Way.

Cost to build a line that crossed Back Cove was in excess of $100 million, and trying to reconnect rail to Gorham would entail some street running both along Wayside Drive in Westbrook and through the Gorham Industrial Park, as well as reclaiming a chunk of the parking lot at their new police station to connect Wayside to the Mountain Division. It's interesting, though, that the ROW from Gorham Station to roughly the outer intersection of Conant St. and Route 25 is easily found on Google Maps.

Historic Map Works has several maps that show the Union Branch connecting to the Grand Trunk; one is here, and it even names the over-the-water portion of the UB as "Marginal Way".