• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by thebigham

^Thanks.

John Kuckp pic. Ties are on the new bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 452 Card

They might be dirty concrete ties. It appears that the pandrol clip bases are already attached to them, but out of linear alignment. The discoloring might be from the iron bases rusting during storage and running over the other ties below.
  by sd80mac

It's not concrete...

It's wood tie - look like pretreat treatment, instead of typical ties. I had seen NS using pretreat ties in Elmira and I believe that I posted the pictures in here 3 years ago or so. No one had made comment to that. If not here, it's in Facebook then.
  by JoeS

They look like pressure-treated lumber, which got me to thinking: wasn't the traditional black creosote treatment banned?

If these are PT it might be part of a DEC mandate that no creosoted ties be used on the new span. Just idle thoughts...
  by sd80mac

JoeS wrote:They look like pressure-treated lumber, which got me to thinking: wasn't the traditional black creosote treatment banned?

If these are PT it might be part of a DEC mandate that no creosoted ties be used on the new span. Just idle thoughts...

Thanks for right word. I was trying to think of that but I was way too tired and occupied...

CSX are still using Creosote treatment... Tier is only one that I had seen NS using Pressure-treated ties... experimental? I have not heard anywhere else that use pressure-treated ties..

On that subject, I saw pressure-treated ties placed on ground, which was also near one of overhead bridges in Elmira. I am wondering if NS use them on the bridges since bridge have drainage seep. therefore there's no chance of water build up on bridges. So it might be good area for pressure-treated ties? But I can see that NS is using them well into the curve on west side. However that's on high raised track bed. so water may be not issue in that area as well..
  by Matt Langworthy

NYS DEC did ban creosote 9 years ago, but RRs are exempt:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/42394.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are there exemptions in the law?

Yes, the law does not apply to:

Railroads,

The operation and/or maintenance of railroad and railroad shipping facilities
  by ccutler

perhaps pressure treated ties can be verified as properly manufactured more easily than creosote ties. I understand NS had a 5 million-tie problem with the latter.
  by sd80mac

ccutler wrote:perhaps pressure treated ties can be verified as properly manufactured more easily than creosote ties. I understand NS had a 5 million-tie problem with the latter.
No I mentioned that I first saw pressure treated ties about 3-4 years ago in Elmira. the 5 million-ties problem is more likely issues later on.

Pressure treated wood doesn't last long in wet ground. It still get rotten out in... 10 years or less? Like I said, I noticed that these pressure treated ties were set aside near the bridge... I would guess that they're used over the bridge. Like this one at Letchworth park. I know that I do see them on both side of bridges but the embankment is real high. Therefore there wont be any issues with water in high embankment.
  by thebigham

John Kucko pics taken Monday, Dec. 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Looks like the area is going to get 10 inches of snow and then not go above freezing for over a week after. Mother nature must want that old bridge to remain in use awhile longer.
  by Matt Langworthy

The forecast models are not in full agreement about how much snow will fall at Letchworth. Some agree with you, but others are only forecasting 1-4 inches. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
  by pumpers

Matt Langworthy wrote:The forecast models are not in full agreement about how much snow will fall at Letchworth. Some agree with you, but others are only forecasting 1-4 inches. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
It's almost (entirely?) impossible to predict exactly where the lake-effect snow is going to set up. A few miles can make a foot or more in difference...
  by Noel Weaver

pumpers wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote: It's almost (entirely?) impossible to predict exactly where the lake-effect snow is going to set up. A few miles can make a foot or more in difference...
This is absolutely so, I've been there and done that one. I remember going west one trip at Batavia when we saw piles and piles of snow and a couple more miles west and the ground had two or three inches of snow, you never know what to expect with lake effect storms.
Noel Weaver
  by johnpbarlow

At around 0700 today, another Georgetown Rail DumpTrain load of stone departed west from Binghamton for unloading at the Portage bridge. And at 0800, unspecified track machine had track authority to depart west from CP-Johnson to head to Waverly with ultimate destination being the Portage bridge. I'm guessing that the track cut-over to the new trestle might be happening today or tomorrow.