• Port Jersey Railroad...The Shortest of the Shortlines.

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Luther Brefo

I think I may have found the shortest of all shortlines.

Is that really the whole railroad?

If so, can anyone offer any more information that what is already present on their site? I'd like to know more but can't seem to find anything more on them.

by Luther Brefo

Further searching did turn this up though:

Port Jersey Railroad Company

The Port Jersey Railroad Company (PJRR) established in 1970, is a 2.4 mile terminal railroad within the Port Jersey distribution center complex in Jersey City. The railroad, whose staff consists of two employees, exists solely to serve itself and it's customers within the complex. PJRR connects with Conrail at Greenville Yard in Jersey City. The railroad is rehabilitating a portion of it's trackage and is constructing a team track under an ongoing agreement.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/transit383/shorts.html

by Sir Ray

Their service area/engine yard (well, where they have an office trailer and the track where they store their engine) is roughly located below the '1' is on the map, and also I believe building '5' (Port Jersey Distribution) was for sale the last time I was in the area (about 2-3 months ago) - there were always lots of covered hoppers parked around it, and often all the way down the track on the quay (the yellow line to the East of building '5' and the south of, well, a westward finger of the Hudson River) , but not too many in the area when I was there last.
Also NOT on that map is two recently constructed distribution centers (right north of the 'black' CSAO line), which have rail service (alas, I have not seen any railcars on those spurs in the two years or so those building were finished).

by salminkarkku

I can trump that, the "Buffalo, Thousand Islands & Portland" operated 50 yards of line in Buffalo in 1908. See my posting on the LV forum.
  by mtuandrew

Cross-posted from the NY&A/NYNJ thread:
JoeRailRoad wrote:Docket Number.: FD_35444_0

Case Title: New York New Jersey Rail LLC-Acquisition and Operation Exemption-Line of Railroad in Hudson City, NJ

General Filing Type: Notice Of Exemption

Filed On: 11/19/2010

Filed For: New York New Jersey Rail Llc
http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument

VERIFIED NOTICE OF EXEMPTION PURSUANT TO 49 U.S.C. 10902 AND 49 CFR 1150.41
New York New Jersey Rail, LLC ("NYNJ" or "Applicant"), a wholly owned subsidiary of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey ("PA-NYNJ") and an existing class III short line railroad, files this Notice of Exemption, pursuant to 49 C.F.R. Part 1150, Subpart D - Exempt Transactions, with the Surface Transportation Board (the "Board") to permit NYNJ to acquire and operate approximately 2.4 miles of railroad line in Jersey City, Hudson County, NJ (the "Line"). NYNJ is seeking to acquire the Line pursuant to an Asset Purchase Agreement to be entered into with Port Jersey Railroad Company ("PJR").
  by Tommy Meehan

The Port Jersey Railroad, soon to disappear into NYNJ, is listed as having one locomotive. An EMD switcher type numbered 1197. (Below is a link to a photo. You have to scroll down for the main pic.)

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... 1290491954

With a road number like 1197 you would think that locomotive came second-hand from one of the big guys? Maybe Norfolk Southern?

I misplaced my Diesel-Spotters Guide. Anyone know what model that is? :)

The one time I saw the Port Jersey in person was about twenty years ago. About 1989-90. I was dropping someone off in the industrial complex there. Port Jersey's crew was switching. In my memory they were using some kind of rare center-cab unit, painted blue I think. I wonder how accurate my memory is?

At least I remember their name right. And where they are.
  by Tommy Meehan

Tommy Meehan wrote:The one time I saw the Port Jersey in person was about twenty years ago. In my memory they were using some kind of rare center-cab unit, painted blue I think. I wonder how accurate my memory is?
Not very. :(

Btw I saw in Railpace that the diesel they're using now is ex-MoPac and is an SW1200.