Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by umtrr-author

The Port Authority Board of Commissioners approved long-awaited plans to consider extending the World Trade Center-Newark PATH rail line to Newark Liberty International Airport.
"Plans to consider..." Words to live by.

Excuse my cynicism on this, but how long was the lifespan of the "plan to consider" extending PATH to Cranford?
  by Jeff Smith

This has to be the stupidest idea known in the history of transit. Why? Why is it needed? NJT and Amtrak go there. All you have to do is connect.

Meanwhile, there is no meaningful access to LGA.
  by M&Eman

Access to the airport from Lower Manhattan is a plus. Additionally, the big plan with this station is to build a parking deck accessible from 78, 1&9, 22, and the Turnpike as a big collector for Central Jersey. Additionally, PATH needs a new, larger yard anyway and the only place to put one is near the airport, so might as well build a station along with it.
  by Don31

M&Eman wrote:Access to the airport from Lower Manhattan is a plus. Additionally, the big plan with this station is to build a parking deck accessible from 78, 1&9, 22, and the Turnpike as a big collector for Central Jersey. Additionally, PATH needs a new, larger yard anyway and the only place to put one is near the airport, so might as well build a station along with it.
Are you sure about the parking deck? The last study ruled one out (and any neighborhood access for that matter) because the PA was going to seek PFC funding for the project, which would preclude such uses.
  by SightUnseen

This study has been in the works for decades, but it doesn't mean they'll go through with it once the results are in. It will take years before the study is finished. If they decided to implement it would take years get funding and years before it would be completed.
The idea is sound. It gives more meaningful regional access to EWR from lower Manhattan, Jersey City, and Newark Penn. I don't really see it hurting NJT in the long run and I think Amtrak could care less.
  by Don31

SightUnseen wrote:This study has been in the works for decades, but it doesn't mean they'll go through with it once the results are in. It will take years before the study is finished. If they decided to implement it would take years get funding and years before it would be completed.
The idea is sound. It gives more meaningful regional access to EWR from lower Manhattan, Jersey City, and Newark Penn. I don't really see it hurting NJT in the long run and I think Amtrak could care less.
I don't think it would take that long. It will build upon the information taken from the two previous studies.
  by M&Eman

Don31 wrote:
M&Eman wrote:Access to the airport from Lower Manhattan is a plus. Additionally, the big plan with this station is to build a parking deck accessible from 78, 1&9, 22, and the Turnpike as a big collector for Central Jersey. Additionally, PATH needs a new, larger yard anyway and the only place to put one is near the airport, so might as well build a station along with it.
Are you sure about the parking deck? The last study ruled one out (and any neighborhood access for that matter) because the PA was going to seek PFC funding for the project, which would preclude such uses.
The last study also said that a station for airport access only would funnel people off of NJT instead of creating new transit riders. PATH wants to create new journeys and take some parking pressure of Harrison and Newark Penn. They are commissioning a new study that ignores PFC funding as a factor.
  by Don31

M&Eman wrote:
Don31 wrote:
The last study also said that a station for airport access only would funnel people off of NJT instead of creating new transit riders. PATH wants to create new journeys and take some parking pressure of Harrison and Newark Penn. They are commissioning a new study that ignores PFC funding as a factor.
Okay, it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I feel that the PATH should have been extended to Newark/Liberty International Airport instead of the AirTrain
being built to the dedicated station on the Amtrak/NJT ROW...

They could have built an easy extension from the end of the layup tracks at South Street and used the location of the
now-demolished old McCarter Highway Bridge to construct a flyover that would lead to a new EWR PATH terminal...
That was at least partially compromised by the new bridge built adjacent to Hunter interlocking by NJDOT...

As for fares I thought that the fare should be a double fare meaning that for example those using Metrocards or the PA
smart card would pay their $2 to enter and then be charged $2 to exit...making EWR a $4 fare...Entering at EWR $4
would be collected...A thought would be to charge $5 total equalling the current AirTrain fare making the EWR exit
fare a $3 charge...

The trouble with this option is that it would make the current transfer station redundant...A PATH EWR extension
would have been clearly a better way for rail transit to directly serve Newark Airport without the inconvenience
for many of a forced transfer...

MACTRAXX
  by Don31

MACTRAXX wrote:
They could have built an easy extension from the end of the layup tracks at South Street and used the location of the
now-demolished old McCarter Highway Bridge to construct a flyover that would lead to a new EWR PATH terminal...
That was at least partially compromised by the new bridge built adjacent to Hunter interlocking by NJDOT...

MACTRAXX
Actually, a few of the alternatives studied last time consisted of combinations of that.
  by michaelk

I am fairly certain that the EWR terminals where built to accommodate path train clearances and weights and turning radii, etc. I thought i read someplace that the air train monorail was undersized for current use and needed some sort of upgrade. So I'm curious is there any chance of them running the path trains right into the terminals and parking areas?
  by Don31

michaelk wrote:I am fairly certain that the EWR terminals where built to accommodate path train clearances and weights and turning radii, etc. I thought i read someplace that the air train monorail was undersized for current use and needed some sort of upgrade. So I'm curious is there any chance of them running the path trains right into the terminals and parking areas?
The last study looked at two groups of alternatives, Off-Site (Penn Station to the NEC Airport Station) and On-Site (NEC station to the CTA). Several of the Off-Site alts made a loop around the CTA with a stop at each terminal.
  by necrails

Jeff, stupid idea? Ever try to connect on a weekend? Hourly service to and from Newark Penn means if you miss the connection you cool your heels for an hour. The station works well for NEC travelers and SUCKS for anyone else on any of the other NJT lines due to the connection time. Fly to Seattle, you get on a LRV and are in downtown in 40 minutes or less. Fly to Atlanta and pick up a subway to the middle of the city. Chicago, same thing. Extending PATH is certainly worth consideration if only to improve the frequency of trips out to the airport and eliminate the seat hopping.
  by Jeff Smith

^I was probably in a mood that day and forgot my 90-second rule. Sorry. And I see what you're saying on connection times. But what that means to me is improve the connection times. Transit to LGA should be the first priority, as it doesn't have any.
  by 25Hz

I think there have been ideas tossed around about an airtrain that connects to the flushing line.