• Pop ups too?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ns3010

SecaucusJunction wrote:It's only bad when you are browsing on your smartphone. When you try to open a page on the forum, a whole new page opens up on top of it and you wonder how you ever got to this new site.
That's nothing! I opened the site on my iPhone (using the Opera Mini browser) and the popup opened instead of Railroad.net. Really threw me for a second until I realized what happened.

David wrote:Has this been going on for a long time or just recently?
Only in the past week or so.
  by Jtgshu

I use the Dolphin browser on my Droid and it pops up behind the main page, Ive never had it open the pop up first instead of the main page.
  by Mr. Ed

It started the day I started the thread. I have never seen them here prior to that and on no other site I visit and I visit a lot of sites. Now today, I got the Netfix popup and it opened before the site did. Maybe your host is doing it to make even more money (what a concept!).

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by waldwickrailfan

So far today, every forum and topic i've opened or clicked on has a pop-up from Netflix. This is really bugging me now
  by TAMR213

Been starting to get "pop-under" ads as well.
  by David

Got my first Pop-Up--It was when I used the AOL browser--When I use Safari I do not get them---Publisher's Clearing House!
  by Mr. Ed

So David. What is the reason for these pop-ups?

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by David

Mr. Ed wrote:So David. What is the reason for these pop-ups?

Later!
Mr. Ed

No idea at this time, Ed, however I have a setting on my Safari browser: "Block Pop-Ups". The administration might be seeking more revenue.
  by Mr. Ed

I did turn on my pop up blocker but it just minimizes them at the bottom and when you right click to close it, it opens up anyway.

I have a problem with greed. As I stated at the beginning of this thread, ads weren't enough, they have to ad pop ups too? They can only sell ads when the number of viewers reaches a certain point. Let's see how low it goes before they drop ads.

See you in the funny papers. I'm out of here. It's been fun.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by RailsEast

I don't think there is any 'greed' involved; designing and supporting a website this large requires a substantial monetary investment, even if all the mods are volunteer. Judging by the amount of ads on RR.net, I doubt that the admins are getting rich, although I have no knowledge of the inner workings here.

After investing several hundreds of dollars to build my small site (click 'my best' below), I decided to place ads via an agreement with Google. The ads generate very little revenue per month so far, although the number of visitors to my site pales in comparison to the volume here. At the current rate, the ads will never pay for the initial investment, but will probably pay for internet related expenses (domain name renewals, yearly hosting/bandwidth fees, etc); this is acceptable to me, as I do not view my site as a business, but rather a vehicle to display my photographs and share my experiences for people to enjoy.

And don't forget, not all railfan sites are free; Trainorders.com requires a small yearly fee to fully participate, and RailPictures.net strongly encourages yearly membership to fully utilize their site.
It's funny, though, with IE9 I have never experienced a pop-up from RR.net at home, but they do occasionally show up on my Droid X! Go figure....
Anywho, let us enjoy the 'free' RR.net, and hopefully the admins can work on the pop-up situation to everyones satisfaction.
Chris
  by David

Perhaps it is the type of computer being used and operating system and not so much the web site. I use an iMac and Safari and do not get the pop-ups unless I use AOL. In the beginning, when I set up Safari, I was asked if I wanted to turn off the pop-ups. However, I find it not that annoying. There are far worse things that develop on the computer / internet that are far more a "pain", like SPAM. I guess it is a matter of tolerance and perseverance.