• Poll-favorite loco model

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Favorite loco model

F40PH(1000-1017)
19%
F40PHM-2C(1025-1036) F40PH-2C(1050-1072, 1074-1075)
38%
GP40MC(1115-1131, 1133-1139)
44%

by Robert Paniagua

From my earlier post:

(I voted for the F40PH2C, the newer version, those are fairly new built from 1986-93.)

Those are also the s t r e t c h F40 locomotives, I see most everybody likes them also.

by CRail

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Let's see...

F-40 (Screamer), I'll get home on time

F-40 (Stretch), i'll probably get home, maybe on time

GP-40 , Honey...don't wait for me to get home before you start supper!
The rebuilds are worse than the screamers? Whats the point of rebuilding them if it makes them less reliable?

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:Yeah, how'd we know you would chose those. :P

Yea Matt, i wonder why you chose that!! :wink:

by GP40MC 1116

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Let's see...

GP-40 , Honey...don't wait for me to get home before you start supper!
Snoozer, Ive never had any problems with the Geeps, but wait. i did have one time we were going to Boston before lawrence and the brakes locked up, and we sat their for at least 10 mins while the Conductor and engineeer walked back to the Geep to see what was wrong. I usually am on the Haverhill Line, since it's the closest to NH!!

by CSX Conductor

typesix wrote:FP-10s for looks
Definately. Which paint schemedid you prefer, the traditional yellow ad purple or the silver and maroon?

by ST214

The F40PH-2C's and F40PHM-2C's are having teething problems. I forget exactally what it is, but there is a minor flaw.

I become concerned whenever i get a train with a GP40MC, as i never know if i will make it in.

Give me a screamer, and i know i will make it there on time and in one piece.

Isn't it odd that the eldest loco's are the most reliable???

by typesix

FP-10s in silver/maroon.
  by paulrail

No doubt about it for me,.......F-10s with the burgundy and platinum mist color scheme! Very classy! I believe one F-40 got that paint scheme too.

Paul

by CSX Conductor

ST214 wrote:Isn't it odd that the eldest loco's are the most reliable???
I think it has alot to do with the fact that the newer locomotives built nowaday have so many computers running them. :(

by ST214

CSX, i agree on that too. Another reason is they're built solid. They were built to last. I hate to say it, but don't expect any F59PHI's to be running around on the west coast in 15 years, as they will have been disposed of for being trash. Just look at cars. New cars are not built to last like they were 15-20 years ago.

Re GP40MC's-They took 20 yr old freight loco's and crammed all these computers into them, and they were not designed for that. That's part of the reason the GP40MC's are crap.
  by GP40MC1118

Paul:

Yes, one F40PH-2 got the maroon/burgundy-silver scheme - 1013.

This was the "as designed" color for the 3247, but we all know what
happened...

Dave
  by paulrail

Thanks for the verification on that paint scheme for the one F-40, 1013.

I remember F-10 # 1110 was one of the engines that got my favorite paint scheme. Wasn't there a GP-9 work engine that also got the burgundy/silver scheme? I seem to remember seeing it, but I can't remember where.

So Dave, if I read your post correctly, engine 3247 did NOT get the scheme that you and some co-workers suggested! When I saw the first picture of 3247 returning, I thought .....that's odd, this unit is not very distinctive; it looks so similar to the regular F-40 paint scheme. I kind of expected you fellows were going for something much more "distinctive" than what I saw. Now, I can see what you meant when you said....." but we all know what happened." That is a real shame as far as I am concerned.....the 3247 would have looked fabulous in the burgundy/silver retro scheme.

By the way, does anyone have a photo of 1013 in the previously painted burgundy/silver schene? I would love to get a color print of that particular locomotive in the original B/S colors.

Paul