• Platform shed Stockbridge Mass.

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

Recently on eBay I came across a photo for sale of the Stockbridge Rail Station in Massachusetts that was taken a few years ago. I have been to Stockbridge a few times before, but never seen the station. I was amazed to recognize a platform shed type that I have only seen in old photographs of stations along the New Haven’s Harlem River Line. There is a brief description of the shed type in Roger Arcara’s book the “Westchester’s Forgotten Railway”. This umbrella shed type which dates around 1904 was very innovative for the time and looks to have been partially prefabricated. Many of the sheds didn’t last past the 1930’s, but the one in Stockbridge seems to be the last of its kind. I know from an old postcard that the shed in Stockbridge is not original to the station. Since I will be reproducing this shed on my model layout (yeah right, when I get organized), I would like to know which firm fabricated this shed type and was the New Haven the only railroad to use it? How did Stockbridge end up with this design? I include photos of the shed at Morris Park Station in the Bronx around 1913 and a recent picture of the one in Stockbridge as reference.
Last edited by chnhrr on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by chnhrr

Here is the one in Stockbridge
Last edited by chnhrr on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by chnhrr

Here is detail view of the Morris Park column and bracket