• Plant City FL to build train observation platform

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Penn Central

I saw this article today about the possibility of a train observation platform at Plant City. That would be great! There is a lot of activity there over the double track diamond.

http://plantcity2.tbo.com/content/2008/ ... ject/news/

I have a few photos from Plant City posted here.
  by Noel Weaver

This reminds me of action at Auburndale back in the 70's when my parents were in the Clearwater area and I would come
down to visit them occasionally. At that time Auburndale was the hot spot in Central Florida. I found it hard to believe that
CSX actually closed down and tore up the old Seaboard route between Auburndale and Coleman which is just south of
Wildwood.
Noel Weaver
  by Penn Central

The business community in Plant City recognizes that railfans spend money and can help the city. There is a small museum in the station and lots of free parking. You can photograph in the station and at nearby grade crossings without trespassing on railroad property. There are four passenger trains a day (91 and 92 going to and from Tampa). The speed restriction over the diamond makes it easy to photograph. There are plenty of grade crossings in this area, so if you are walking around, you will hear the trains coming, the only problem is guessing which direction they will be coming from.
  by lubranodesigns

Good Evening,
Today with the help of a portable lift, I placed myself at the proposed height of 14'-0" above existing grade, at about the location the raised "observation" near the diamond in Plant City. I will download those pictures and email "pdf" files of the proposed structure planned for Plant City, on Friday. The prelim design is done, the process getting final approval CSX
is on going, budget numbers are being crunched and we are talking "financing". It will be completed, as a target date late January early February 2009.

Question comments email---- [email protected]
  by Noel Weaver

Do any of you people have a good idea of just how many train movements go through Plant City during a 24 hour period.
I suggest if they put a viewing area in here that they take a ride up to Folkston and see just exactly what they have done
to make this probably the best place in the south east to watch trains.
I agree that this is an excellent idea and hope it comes in, the sooner the better.
Noel Weaver
  by brickbuilder711

This sounds like a very excellent and safe idea! I cannot wait for it to open and since we will have a 14' high observation area, the views are going to be exceptional.

Noel, there are about 20 to 25 trains daily.