• Piston 142x1073

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by ksai

Anyone know a supplier for this piston? (apart from the OEM)

by D.Carleton

I have pulled parts out of ALCo's which could have as many as a half-dozen cross-reference numbers. I've heard EMD's could have even more numbers. We're going to need more information, i.e. what engine, piston style, crown, etc.

by nickleinonen

kinda sounds like a ge part number..

is it a 2 piece piston? steel crown and aluminum skirt bolted to it with 4 cap screws?

ge right now is using alcoa as the manufacture of the skirt. i don't know if they are using them for the crown too.. ge was using a russian company that was marking the pistons vsmpo, but they are all being removed from service due to them cracking due to poor aluminum casting [looks like an aero bar inside]

by ksai

yes it is a GE part number for a Crown Piston. We are need some of these piston. Looking for a supplier- GE charging exhoberent prices!

by nickleinonen

ksai wrote:yes it is a GE part number for a Crown Piston. We are need some of these piston. Looking for a supplier- GE charging exhoberent prices!
yeah, i have seen ge's price lists.. you should see what ge pays for the parts they are charging others... the highest i remember seeing on their list was right at 5x their cost..

best bet might be to scrounge for some used ones and piece together enough good order ones to get what you need. the crowns are almost all reusable but the skirts do crack..