• Picture for identification (steam era photos of Ludlow, MA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by 3rdrail

Leo Sullivan wrote:Here is another from that box of negatives. Even for an industrial locomotive it is
pretty crude. I don't know the owner (but I expect that the building in the background
would reveal that). I now know that all these pictures, most of which are mill pictures, are
taken in Ludlow, MA. or across the river in Indian Orchard. Comparing old Richards' atlases
with Google Maps shows very little exists today.
I wonder what kind of drive mechanism this little guy used. It doesn't appear to have any pistons. Wood, oil driven ? Interesting piece.
  by jaymac

CannaScrews, BandA, and etna9726b-
Tailrace and waste way are exchangeable, but the outflow was also where processing and human effluents used to be released. Mill by David Macaulay opened my eyes. One other eye-opener was in 1970 when I photographed the Logsjo bike race which was then in downtown Fitchburg. The Nashua River would change color as the upstream paper mills released dyes into the water. EPA regs hadn't kicked in yet.

3rdrail-
Above the frame rail and between the left-hand wheel assembly and the crewman is a slide-valve and piston assembly, complete with a cross-head. Just guessing, but it looks like the main road goes to some intermediate drive mechanism.