• Photos from El Shutdown 2

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Lucius Kwok

Photos from today. I wanted some shots of the old El structure before it was torn down.

by KLCS

Hmm, 60th St station doesn't look too bad in that photo, it must have been modernized within the last couple of decades?

I guess the almost 100 year old 'el' was unsalvageable and reached the end of useful life, unlike most of the Frankford 'el' (south of Bridge-Pratt to south of Girard). Perhaps it was beacuse the Frankford 'el' was built later (opened early 20's) and/or was rehabilitated earlier (late 80's- early 90's).

Kind of reminds me of Chicago, where a most of the Green Line structure was rebuilt or had minor repairs done, while the Douglass line had to have it's entire structure replaced on its east-west portion.

I wonder, is this what is to become of the NY Dual Contracts els?

by 7 to Main St

Not sure on how salvageable it could have really been. The Frankford portion was built better, including the street pillars that helped.

"I wonder, is this what is to become of the NY Dual Contracts els?"

The NY El's were built to hold more then what rides on it now. It will last for a good amount of time before it needs replacing.

by Silverliner II

KLCS wrote:Hmm, 60th St station doesn't look too bad in that photo, it must have been modernized within the last couple of decades?

I guess the almost 100 year old 'el' was unsalvageable and reached the end of useful life, unlike most of the Frankford 'el' (south of Bridge-Pratt to south of Girard). Perhaps it was beacuse the Frankford 'el' was built later (opened early 20's) and/or was rehabilitated earlier (late 80's- early 90's).

Kind of reminds me of Chicago, where a most of the Green Line structure was rebuilt or had minor repairs done, while the Douglass line had to have it's entire structure replaced on its east-west portion.

I wonder, is this what is to become of the NY Dual Contracts els?
60th Street was modernized back in the mid-1970's.

THe only original components of the Frankford El to survive were the main support pillars and the steelwork at the stations. I heard that the Frankford side was actually in worse shape than the Market side at the time that FERP was under way.

Had the Market Street El been built with support columns similar to the Frankford side (with a third support in the middle to account for the extra width of Market Street), these 9-day shutdowns would not be needed; SEPTA could have replaced the track deck with continuous weekend shutdowns similar to the FERP project.

As a side note: I once read that the Church Street to Dyre Street section of the Frankford El along Frankford Avenue got built with center support pillars mainly because some influential people living in the area refused to allow El pillars to be sunken into their sidewalks.